Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Snake Lottery - 2006

Re: The Great Snake Lottery - 2006

With less than a month to go on our lottery, you still have time to get your entry in. (You are cautioned to view the rules of this contest before you participate.)

GOOD LUCK!

Jazz, if you're seeing a snake a day, that would be near 150 snakes. That's more snakes than Indiana Jones discovered in the temple of the Ark. I think I'd invest in a few cats, maybe more than a few cats, maybe a herd of cats. In fact, if you saw only 2 per week that's too many. Make a couple of inquiries and get the local snake handler out to do some snake hunting on the premises. Maybe he can discover the lairs from which these things are creeping. And if there are that many snakes, what's the rat population like? Something besides your good looks has to be drawing them into your place. My guess, 35.

Are you having snake problems, Jazz? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Are they on the walls?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, the results are in.

We want to thank those of you who posted your guess on line, and the thousands who replied with their postcards. It looks like our winner is (drum roll, please) Egon, of the great white north. His guess of 10 was the closest to the actual total of 5. (And Egon, as a woodworker, I'm impressed that you have all 10 fingers.)

Don't despair: we may have the 2nd annual snake lottery next year, if those egg-eaters agree to participate.

Well, gee whiz and here all I said was if'n there were more than ten I'd have to take my socks off! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Feel free to sing along with me. (Sung to the tune of "When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano".)

When the rat snakes come back to Central Texas.

We removed a 5 footer from one of the nest boxes yesterday afternoon. He wrapped himself around a post in the chicken coop, and it was a tug-of-war to get him free. Then he wrapped himself around my arm. He got a all-expenses paid vacation.

While logging yesterday I found a snake trying to pretend it was a rattle snake. Wiggled its tail but had no rattles. Had somewhat decent diamond markings. I snatched it and tossed it into a big brush pile out of harms way and away from my buddies cattle dog. I think it was an eastern hog-nose. Don't believe everything you read about hog-nose snakes! They are in fact venomous. They do not have the folding fangs up front but if they can get part of your flesh in the back of their mouth they can get venom in you.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have seen the hog nose do that. Then they usually roll over, pretending to be dead. I had a hog nose rear up at me, trying to make me think he was a cobra.
    I believe venom and saliva to very similar, and even a "non poisonous" snake can cause infection at the bite location. Think about it; that snake did not wash its last meal before it ate. Now biting you could inject some interesting filth. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] That said, I thank you for not arbitrarily killing it, Pat. Too many folks don't realize the benefit snakes provide.