Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Weedburner

Re: Harbor Freight Weedburner

I've got yellow plants in the driveway and pea gravel dog yards that I sprayed 2-3 weeks ago and new green ones springing up around them. It sure would be nice to find a better way that would look nice for a while. I guess if your results are quick with the torch, then it's no big hassle to torch the plants every couple weeks.
    I was just passing on what someone told me. What's that one poster say..... your mileage may vary [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Maybe some plants are tougher than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably so. I've never used one of those torches made for that purpose, although I have burned just a few with a regular little propane torch. However, you know just a grass fire to burn off a pasture actually makes it come back even better than before, so fire, as such, doesn't kill the roots. Maybe a torch might heat the ground enough to get to and kill some roots.

That's a good point Bird. I've seen photos of new growth springing up after a forest fire. Often the new plants are of a different species than the ones that burned.

I'd not argue that the torch is BETTER than RoundUp or some of the others, but in my situation I think I can reduce collateral damage to surrounding plants better with the torch than with a spray.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Some weeds sucumb to the torch fairly well... however some seem to spring back from the roots. I agree that the torch is more fun than the little pump that comes with a gal of prediluted Roundup. It isn't all that much more fun than my 25 gal electric pump powered spray rig I toss in the Dakota and operate without getting out of the truck (drive by spraying?) and especially the 3PH mounted spray rig but it is a tad cumbersome to manuver in flower beds.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> Some weeds sucumb to the torch fairly well... however some seem to spring back from the roots. </font color>

I think that's the key. Some plants will die from torching, some will thrive. Find out what yours do, and adjust from there.

I'm thinking spray 'em, give 'em a day or two to let the poison get into the roots, then torch the tops off. Maybe this will give you a finished look on top quicker, but still eventually kill the roots.
    Couldn't hurt to give it a test run. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

There is some experimentation involved whether you like it or not or believe it or not. I'd torch 'em all and spray whatever grew back from the roots. Less spray involved and with powerful and potentially dangerous chemicals to be added to the environment, less is better.

I recently sprayed a quarter mile of fence line with Crossbow as an experiement to see what it would kill of the varioius species. Some died quick, some are lingering on (maybe some of the wounded will die) and some didn't seem to be particularly effected. As is typical of persimmon, the sprayed leaves darken and drop off. Unfortunately the leaves drop off too quickly and take the poison with them. The plant then uses some of its reserve energy stored in the roots to put out new leaves and carry on.

Too dry and too much fuel load to safely burn the stuff. We are still in a drought although we got a little rain a few weeks ago.

A key factor in the success of killing weeds and brush is to spray during a period of growth of the plant, preferably rapid growth when the plant is taking in a lot of nutrients and water to fuel the rapid growth. This helps get the poison into the plant's "innards."

One of the reasons for varying success in spraying weeds is whether or not they are growing and how fast. The RIGHT chemicals can't do much if the plant isn't taking stuff in.

Burning with a weed torch is a good alternative to chemicals in limited, perhaps COSMETIC, applications but for large areas you need a CONTROLLED (PRESCRIBED) burn or chemicals as it is just too labor intensive to selectively burn weeds in a large area (several acres.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think too, that torching may need to be done with a gentle touch. The idea is not to burn the tops off, but to harm the plant to a lethal degree. We've all see plants come back with improved vigor after being burned back to a nub. But heat it up good, without burning it off, and it may die completely.

That's true. From what I've been told, you just need to wilt, or cook if you prefer, the green part of the plant. They actually turn a darker green just as if you'd steamed them. The tops of the wild garlic and wild onions look good enough to serve with a steak.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Yeah right on! I think I saw a weed burner at L.L. Bean that had a non contact electronic (solar powered so GREEN) Infra Red based thermostat calibrated in weed species so you can cook them JUST RIGHT. It costs a tad more to buy at the OUTDOOR BOTIQUE but the higher quality is worth it. Great panache! Bragging rights at the country club, eh what!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]