Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Weedburner

Re: Harbor Freight Weedburner

Pat,

Had a ribeye steak on the grill tonight. I was tempted to try and sear it with the weed burner. Cooked on the outside and still cold in the middle. I think the steak houses call that a "blue" steak.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Let's not get carried away with the new toy, Gary! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Shoot, I've roasted peppers with mine. Stuck em on a pitchfork and fired away! It's amazing what a few hundred thousand BTUs will do... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

The Sante Fe Cattle Co Steak house lists a description of the various donenesses in their menu. Rare is with a cool center.

I just read where grass fed beef has way more omega-3 fatty acids than grain fed. Likewise free range chicken eggs vs factory eggs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hondo

That made me laugh. I can see you with the pitchfork in one hand and the torch in the other. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll bet this Fourth of July I could light all my fireworks with one short blast of the torch.
    Gary

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think the steak houses call that a "blue" steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably call it a ruined steak. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm not real particular, but I just always order steaks "medium". That way they can vary a bit either direction and that's fine with me, but I want it hot all the way through and not bleeding. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

omega-3

The content will be directy in proportion to the amount in the feed.

Farmed fish species are usually lower in Omega -3 than their wild brothers and sisters.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Over the years I've found it best to order steak at least Medium or well done if one does not know the quality being served. Almost raw gristle just don't cut it.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bird,

I've never ordered one like that myself. Like yourself, I usually go for medium, or perhaps medium rare. It does provide a safety margin of acceptable doneness.

I'll admit that if I'm working on a nice piece of Ribeye or Sirloin at home I'm not above slicing off a piece and having it raw with a little salt. Going back to our "roots" so to speak. I wouldn't do it with store bought ground beef though, too many unknowns.
    Gary

Egon, I don't agree with your direct proportion comment. Various species have genes that code for omega-3 and there are differing variants that yield differing results. Of course you can increase the omega content through varying the feedstock not unlike increasing someones cholesterol by feeding them more cholesterol BUT individuals make their own (all animals with livers and only animals with livers produce cholesterol) and they make it in varying quantities (strongly inheritable trait.)

So, feeding omega will produce carcasses with higher omega but not in direct proportion as you must account for the omega the animal would produce with NO omega in the feed.

Short version: A positive correlation does not a direct proportion make!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"