Thread: CORN PLANTING

CORN PLANTING

WELL, I PLOWED THE FIELD DEEP, LEFT IT TWO WEEKS WILL LEVEL IT AND PLANT THIS WEEK. TEMPERTURE OF GROUND WAS 50 DEGREES TWO WEEKS AGO, HOPEFULLY IT WILL GET TO 60+THIS WEEK THEN I WILL PLANT. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT, BUT I THINK THAT THE DEEP PLOWING WILL HELP ALOT. LATER [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: CORN PLANTING

I was going to plant some corn for the fun of it. Also my wife really hated the children of the corn. So its a side of our land she will stay out of for a few months. How much and $ do I need for a 30' x40' area of corn?
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

Hmmmm?
    30 ft (16 rows @ 2' wide) x 40' rows = 640 linear ft of rows.
    1 corn stalk every ft and 2 seeds per stalk to insure germination = 640 x 2 or 1280 seeds.
    Approx 110 corn seeds per once (1280 / 110) = 11.64 oz.

Henry Fields CORN GOLDEN BANTAM 1/2 LB $3.95 + shipping has (had?) a special buy one get one free offer.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Thank you for the informaiton. I was planning on discing up the area and hand planting the seets and running water like crazy over it. Do I need to set the disc to make rows and flood in between them. I was just going to use a sprinkler system until the get tall then put the sprinklers on poles.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

Ooops!...Looks like I replied to the wrong post, but it still looks OK in flat mode.

Hand planting 600+ hills will work. A lot of work. You might want to investigate Earthway Seed Planter especially if your are going to be doing this every year.
    I'm not familiar with your climate so I can't comment on the irrigation. It rained here for near a week solid and my corn patch looked like a rice paddy.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

I'm only doing a small area. Did I say I. I mean the kids, a dollar will go a long way in the country. Plus it's "fun" for them.

I have to build a hay barn for 300 bales. So I will be having fun.