Thread: Trimming Pine Trees?

Trimming Pine Trees?

I've had a variety of different opinions presented to me about the benefits of trimming and not trimming the bottom branches on pine trees that I have on my property. Some - including my wife and mother - tell me that I should trim dead branches on the bottom so the healthy (green) branches going up get more food/water. Others say that it doesn't matter and it had no effect on the health and long-term growth of the tree.

Any thoughts on which is right?

Thanks!

-Bob

Re: Trimming Pine Trees?

In the few "Old Growth" forests remaining it is doubtfull that any pruning other than natural was done! Usually nature will do it's own pruning and define the growth habits of the tree depending on density and availability of crown space.

If you have a tree in the open and wish it to become tall with only crown branches then trimming may be in order.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have a woodlot and there is no doubt that pruning has some significant advantages. This year I am participating in a state Forest Stand Improvement project, where they pay me to prune some of my white pines. My Consulting Forester made an application to the Maine Forest Service. Once approved, I paid the forester to write a project plan and then cruise my woodlot marking a specific number of trees. I then had to prune the trees to 17 feet. Pine trees will overgrow the trimmed branches and create a much more marketable piece of timber.

Here is an Information Sheet from the Maine Forest Service that explains it. Pruning and another More Pruning

I like to trim evergreens around the base just so I can see through them and cut the grass under them. It also makes a safer place for my kids when they are running around.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

And it's just fun to run a chain saw and wood chipper.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

Ah, NOW the truth comes out! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I agree, though!

But my arms get awful tired holding my heavy chain saw up over my head to reach those branches at 15 feet [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]