Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes

I had ordered 150 sweet potatoe plants back in Feb. My wife really likes them with maple syrup and I figured I'd give them a try. Well every time I checked the Gurney's website they were saying a different shipping date, some showing shipment in July. that would be way to late since I could be harvesting them in a snow storm so I cancelled the order late May. Well they showed up in the mail yesterday!! Called Gurney's to find out what to do. They showed the order as cancelled and told me to keep them and watch my credit card if I get charged I'll call them back. The only place I had to plant these was a ways from the house on the other side of my sugar bush where some power lines run through my property. I had plowed the area up a month ago to get it ready. Last night I went back over and ran the plow through it a couple more times and the box blade to level it off. When I got there there was 2 deer and it got me to thinking. Do deer like sweet potatoes? How about rabbits and woodchucks? It's not legal to shoot in that area, that part of the property is in the village but a 22 with shorts is pretty quiet and would work good for the small stuff. Any suggestions? ideas?

Thanks
    Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

Re: Sweet potatoes

Some folks buy sweet potatoes by the truckload in the fall to put out near their stands for deer season. I have never tried it so I don't know from personal experience, but from what others say it sounds to me like deer LOVE sweet potatoes.
    Chris

I love sweet potatos and that is with or without brown sugar or syrup or butter. One of the steak houses in Shawnee serve a big sweet potato in place of a baked potato... OHHH my is it laripun good.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, my wife and I both like sweet potatoes; baked with just butter, or with brown sugar, candied, sweet potato pie, you name it. And neither of our daughters will eat a sweet potato. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Makes no sense at all.

I took the ATV over where we planted them Sunday morning when the rain stopped to see how they were doing. Looks like the plants took and nothings found them yet. There were two sets of deer tracks going down between the rows, probably the two I saw Friday when I went over to plow. Maybe they don't care for the "greens". Do they grow like turnips with only one potatoe per plant? or will their be mulitple ones like regular potatoes?

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

Bird, I guess good taste, or knowledge of what tastes good is not neccessarily a genetic trait.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ah, how about sweet potatoe pie? In a graham cracker crust, with fresh whipped cream [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sweet potato pie in any kind of crust, and yes it's even better with a little whipped cream.

Robert, YES PLEASE, thank you very very much! Shall I PM you with driving/delivery directions?

We used to get fresh milk from some folks that had dairy cows. It was strained; that's it. Let that stuff sit for a couple hours, and the sweet cream seperated. Use that for fresh whipped cream [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Our friend Martha was from bayou country; she made awesome sweet potatoe pie. Our families would together, and we'd have fresh sweet potatoe pie, with fresh whipped cream [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Or, almost as good... Fresh peaches, sliced and cream poured over them [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]