Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asparagus

Re: Asparagus

Pat:

Yes the soil does warm up. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Yes we do know how to start plants indoors. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And yes the effulent may have adverse effects on the olifactorty sensory system but the input is well worth the output.! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I do not agree with your value judgement regarding any adverse olfactory effect. My comment related to the speed with which the nearly unchanged aroma passes through your system.

Of course I am truly amazed and properly respectful of the cleverness and resourcefulness associated with the folks of the north when it comes to gardening and other skills.

One of the other skills demonstrated in abundance, and soon to be demonstrably proven, is TEAM CANADA and the Gold they are about to bring home for the "Maple Leaf" in Olympic competition.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

Thought the Boys from Canada flamed out at the olympics? The ladies did well though! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yes we do require some gardening skill with our permafrost. The trick is to be able to shovel over the garden spot in such a fashion that you plant and harvest while the soil is in the air as it will revert to it's previous state once it touches ground. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Past is past, I'm looking to the future.... NEXT TIME they'll get'm!

Di you ever consider any of those deals where you hang tomatos upside down? Looked kind of interesting and it sort of simulates your plant and harvest in the air comment but with a slightly longer growing season.

By the way, down here all the snow is melted. Going to see 90F soon. Today is second day of using some A/C, just i the late afternoon and evening yesterday but started before lunch today.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Going to see 90 soon? Unfortunately, we've already been to 97 this past week one day and it's 90 right now. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> The only okra I've had has been the deep fried. There is a store we go to every week that usually has some canned okra, I'll have to pick up a can tomorrow when we go shopping and try it. Is it like spinach?? </font color>

It's NOT like spinach. It's sort of like small zuchinni, but slimey. Wretched stuff.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    slimey. Wretched stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My wife won't even try it anyway but fried, and I've told her all you have to do it put it in your mouth and it just slides right down. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I wouldn't want it very often, but every once in awhile, a few whole pods steamed (or even boiled and drained) with a little butter, salt, and pepper is pretty good. I used to have a secretary who usually carried her lunch and she frequently had pods of raw okra she ate with her lunch. I'd never heard of eating it raw before so I had to try it; not bad, but not particularly good either in my opinion.

Not sure but I think okra is mainly used as a thickner in soups etc.

Yep, Egon, that's one of many uses.

Might make good compost....

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]