Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: long time

Re: long time

Ahh yes the joys of schooling! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well do I remember my assigned corner with the tall stool and conical cap. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

OK JAZZ, How many different schools did you go to?

I did not attend kindergarten but went to 3 different grade schools in 2 states, Jr High (7&8), High school in two states, 6 colleges in 4 states. Last stint in grad school was finished in '94 so I went to school off and on for 43 years.

Relearning science as it evolved was interesting at best, like going from the early days when there were only 4 elements (earth, air, fire, and water... phlogiston was just a theory) to 100 plus elements on the periodic table. Even geology was way different in the early days before the big rocks cooled.

I still recall the joy of getting the "Weekly Reader" at school. They always reported on the latest things of interest like Edison and his light bulb, the GERM theory, Louis Pasture, Madame Curie, Krakatoa, the fall of Rome, etc.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Nevr bin to skule a day in mie lyfe. And i'll bet no won kan tell. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    I remember when Weekly Reader told us that, as adults, we would have a four day work week.

Ah ha Have I got a deal for you ehh.

There is this Toll Bridge across Halifax Harbour I am partial owner of and as a representative of the other owners [ were all getting to old to look after it properly ] I could get you a really good purchase price if you are buying for investment purposes.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Halifax Harbour... isn't that where they moved the London bridge?

I wonder if Hakim can give us extra post points for keeping this topic active. (Even though is has NOTHING to do with schooling.)

No ; the London Bridgw is located elswhere. Negotiations for sale of the of London Bridge will be a little more rigorous as it is in an area where maintenance is muck kinder to the net profit.

But that does not mean we will look askance at an offer as our small investment group is always open to offers.

Please note that we do not accept partial cash payments in excess of 10K!

Jazz, About the 4 day work week. Yeah. A friend of mine took some future studies course in college and was always telling me about productivity getting so high and all the automation so that only folks who wanted to work would. Others would be paid not to work or do things to benefit society and such.

He didn't miss it much. Those of us who wanted to, did work and the social welfare system made if so that no one had to work to share the workers productivity.

The Gov lab (part of a network of DoD labs) I retired from was an early adopter of a couple things. The lab had email when the vast majority of the US did not know the meaning of the term.
    Our work day was over 8 hrs a day and we got every other Friday off. So we worked 4 days one week and 5 the next but the Fridays we worked were shorter days. Since we got paid every two weeks on Friday, I used to say I only worked on Friday when Friday was a payday. The idea was that 10 hrs was a bit lengthy for intellectual work but 9 was OK. I don't know about the productivity but I can tell you about the popularity. It was very popular and was a draw and assistance in recruiting young scientists and engineers.

I didn't mention it but we had direct microwave broadcasts from local universities so we could (and I did) attend classes remotely from a "wired" room at the lab. The classes were interactive and you could talk and be heard by the instructor and the students who were either taking it LIVE or in another remote classroom. The "Systems Programing UNIX in C" class that I took had over a dozen remote classrooms (like the one I was in, including one in Mexico) as well as two remote classrooms on campus.

...by the way guys... there isn't THE London Bridge there is A London Bridge. There are (were) several London Bridges. One of the most famous (due to being transported) was taken apart and reassembled at Lake Havasu on the Colorado river (Lake Havasu Arizona.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Picky, picky, lordy we have our limitations being challenge so to say! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

HUH?