Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: long time

Re: long time

thats too funny, you should be a writer the way you describe stuff.

fish_dude, Please don't make fun of Egon, he can't help his accent, even when he writes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

fish_dude?? i was talking about jazzdads story, i started laughing when i was reading that. some people have a talent for describing things in writing, ill bet he is a writer. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

FishDude, Jazz is one of a few writers we have here as regulars or lurkers. Although it may be hard to believe, given my poor spelling, grammar, and syntax, I have some writing to my credit but don't currently have a need to know so I can't read what I wrote. (Classified Journal.)

The last time I went back to grad school for another piece of wall paper (1994 Instructional Technology) my advisor and prof for many classes always gave two grades on his essay tests. One was for correctness and appropriateness of what you said and the other grade was for how you said it. I started out with extremely poor "how I said it" marks (military technical style and vocab) It took me the better part of the first couple classes with him to get accurately dialed in to how he liked it. As writen communications was an important part of Instructional Technology there was a special writing competency test above and beyond any class. You could have a perfect 4.0 all the way through but if you couldn't pass the writing competancy test you didn't pass go and collect $200.

Grading was double blind. There were 3-4 profs who drew exams to grade at random and student names were not on the exam, just a control number. My nightmare was that the prof who had been more than a bit harsh on my writing would get my exam and recognize me through some vestige of my previouis style. I got a great grade and terrific lauditory marginal comments. The real shock was that I had succeeded in being a chameleon because it was the prof I feared the most that graded my exam.

Probably a one time accident.

I wouldn't "out" any writers who haven't gone public but take for example Dave... He writes for a JD Tractor nostalgia magazine. There are others.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yep..... that's right. I am a regular contributor to TWO-CYLINDER magazine, the official publication of the John Deere Tractor Club. I write mostly nostalgia-type articles about every day farming with the old JD two-bangers. Many of the subscribers to that magazine; those who do own early model JD tractors; are too young to have actually farmed with them. They don't know how it felt to take out yet another fence post because your eleven-year old hands couldn't get that over-center hand clutch snapped out quite quick enough; or what it was like to slip through a sea of standing corn in fourth gear on a 1940, hand-crank, John Deere AWH with cultivators front and back; or to look over your shoulder at a John Deere No. 5 mower as it laid the alfalfa down. You can drive a John Deere in a hundred parades, but until you've felt the whole tractor vibrate with power on a full pull, you haven't felt the unique "mechanical presence" that those tractors seemed to have. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave