Thread: What to do with empty pole shed?

What to do with empty pole shed?

I have a 30x40 pole shed that I own and have nothing in it. Does anyone have any money making ideas for this empty shed? Concrete floor - 3 bays - large doors - electricity - no heat
    Thanks for any input.

Re: What to do with empty pole shed?

Drying shed for wood, hay storage, revival meeting, flea market, grow mushrooms for fun and profit, chinchilla breeding, boarding kennel, is cock fighting legal in your state?, subdivide and rent out spaces for personal storage, long term automobile storage (you might provide battery "float" charger/maintainer (available for under $10) subdivide and rent out to illegal aliens/wannabe citizens (for grants and starter capital see your local left wing bleeding heart liberal priest.), raise rats for labs, (water availability?) start fish hatchery, buy tatami matting and start dojo, tanning salon, gym, slotcar racing track, radiio controlled model car racing, climbing/rapelling (what is roof peak height?) alligator wrestling, greased pig catching contests with a fraction of the gate to the top three contenders (people, not the pigs), mechanical bull riding, country beer bar and line dance club, museum of Tibetan religious artifacts, branch of one of the area 51 alien cult Roswell ouitfits, craft shows and crafter exhibit/sales, farmers market (rent out stalls to sellers)

To name a few of the top of my head...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I would think maybe rv/boat/auto storage....depending on the need for that in your area.

What type risk return are you open for?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

WOW! Pat came up with a few ideas that I sure didn't think of...what is a fair price to for storing a boat, RV, etc - By the way, this shed isn't very close to a large town (18 miles to town of 13,000) and 1.5 miles down a gravel road...

Are there any self storage lots around? Call them and ask what they charge for inside storage of rv or boat sized vehicles. I think I was paying $35 a month for outside storage of a boat at a lot near my old house.

Whatever might be charged for whatever use of the space might be arranged it is important that the "operation" carry itself and not be a burden unless of course you are some sort of philanthropist.

Think LIABILITY. This is a litiginous age we are in. If someone slipped and fell on your floor because the concrete was too smooth, too rough, or because the lighting was 0.01 foot candles below accepted standards for that specific use you could be sued for OUTRAGEOUS sums. You need contracts that protect you from virtually every conceivable problem and insurance to cover virtually every potential point that could be made in a suit. If you can't make enough in rents to cover the cost of the insurance required to protect you from suits that coud be filed by renters then the whole idea is a NON STARTER.

The risks can easily outweigh the rewards. In simpler times you'd just get a few bucks for each vehicle, sellers stall, or whatever and everyone would be happy. NOwadays whether we likek it or not the real deal is that there are folks out actively looking for situations where thay can sue. There are people for whom it is a way of life, hobby, or occupation.

I was warned several years ago by some of the locals that there are serious numbers of people looking for agriculltural work just to collect a couple checks that prove they are in your employ and then BAM they are hurt on the job and you will either need lots of insurance, lawyers, or both and you still might lose the farm to the bozo suing you. This was running rampant in this area. It is another form of trying to win the lottery. As a result smart folks are super careful who they let on their place.

To repeat for emphasis: Use iron clad contracts that cover the waterfront and collect enough $ to cover the insurance you'll need to be safe and prudent A N D turn a few $ to make it worth your management and maint time and effort. Otherwise you are playing Russian roulette with your family's financial future and well being.

I am an optimistic realist. I hope for the best but deal with reality.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sad to say, that's good advice. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]