Thread: Transplanting onions....now.

Transplanting onions....now.

I got a real deal on onion sets this spring. Put out over 200 on 2" spacing figuring some wouldn't live and I could thin them out by eating the rest as green onions. I think every one of them lived and I've eaten all the green onions I can stand for awhile.

I removed about 36 of the onions and as much root as I could get and moved them to another area of the garden. (don't ask why I didn't just do this originally). What do you think will they make it?
    Has anyone transplanted onions of this size. 8" to 12" tall, onions the size of marbles to golf balls. If it will work, I'll do more, if not I'll just leave them alone.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Re: Transplanting onions....now.

I have not moved any after setting them out, but I think it just depends on whether they have enough root and whether you watered them immediately upon moving them to settle the dirt around the roots.

Creamed onions are VERY good and the size is about perfect for it!!

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

<font color="blue"> I've eaten all the green onions I can stand for awhile. </font color>

Cut 'em up and freeze 'em. They keep pretty well.

Yep, we use enough onion in cooking that it's handy to have a few zip lock bags in the freezer with onions already chopped.

Looks like about 1/2 of the transplants did OK. They are really looking good. The ones that were originally transplants did best far. The ones I put out as bulbs did not do as well.

Also I froze quite a few from the original planting and now have several ziploc bags for cooking this winter.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Adron, Dontcha jus love those heavy wall vapor proof ziplocks? I didn't plane any peppers this year because I still have several ziplock bags from last year... but I'm trying to use them up.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"