Thread: Second Pressure tank??

Second Pressure tank??

I am sure I read a post a few years back similar to this but can't find it.
    I am in the process of building a new barn and I want to put a full bathroom in it. The bathroom in the barn will be about 75-80' from my pressure tank in the house. I plan to run a single 3/4" line underground to the barn and then put a separate small hot water tank there. My question is, if the pressure loss is too much, can I place another pressure tank in the barn? If I were to do this would it also require a second in line pump of some sort?

Re: Second Pressure tank??

You can put as many pressure tanks as you want any where in the system. You do not need any new pumps ect. However the pressure in the tanks will be almost equal at all times unless you really pull a lot of water from one and the line between them is really small. The advantage to adding tanks is it will give you a greater amount of draw down before the pump turns on. If you want to seperate the barn from the house for some reason put a oneway valve between the house and barn. This is sometimes done to keep possibly contaminated water from feeding back into the house. My pressure tanks are over 1200 ft from my house there is not any measurable pressure loss. Personally I would use 1in pipe.

You should buy a 100' roll of 160 or 200 psi rated polyethylene tubing and two fittings and 4 SS hose clamps and use it instead of 3/4" of anything else. It costs less, lasts longer and takes way less time to install. Just put it in a trench (below the frost line) by unrolling it in a zigzag pattern for expansion/contraction requirements. Double oppose clamp each fitting; meaning point the screws in opposite directions 180 degs apart, a pair to each fitting. Heat the tubing with hot water, the sun or a torch (which voids warranty) slightly inside and outside equally and push on each fitting to the shoulder. Wait until cool (air temp) and tighten the clamps

I don't suggest a check valve or a pressure tank at the barn. There is no advantage to having either and to prevent back flow by code, you need a double back flow prevention device. They are pricey and a vacuum breaker is a better choice; use one on all hose bibs.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

Thanks Gary, I was planning to run the 3/4'" 160psi as you described, just didn't know if needed the tank. Would 1" be better? I planned to use the 3/4 mainly because of what I have piped in the house. I only have 6 water outlets in the house. We have a 1" line coming in from the well to the pressure tank, then 3/4" to the filtration system and then to each room and then reduced to 1/2" to the outlets. My plan was to do the same thing to the barn.

Yes 1" is better for any future needs and there's hardly any difference in price for 100' roll. Make sure there is no rock etc. in the trench or in the backfill that will be up against the tubing. If the ground is rocky, go to 200 psi. Any pump/plumbing supply will have either. Use SS fittings.

If you tee off after the present pressure tank (as you should), another tank isn't needed but it would reduce pump starts but if you aren't using water at the barn often, it shouldn't matter. If you go the second tank, no check valve will allow the house to use water out of both tanks and reduce pump starts. Reduced starts extend the life of pumps.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

OK, 1" is no problem, but I do have another question now. You mentioned making sure there was no rock, which is no problem for the run, but what about the 1/2" stone below the concrete and going through the concrete itself?

Rocks in the backfill might cause a problem crushing or piercing the poly pipe. Buried in a layer of gravel, even with a slab on top the forces are distributed and much less likely to cause a problem. To be really really carreful and thinking ahead... run a plastic tube through the gravel under the slab with an ID greater than the OD of the water pipe and run the water pipe inside of that. That will give you both belt and suspenders. With all gentle sweeping curves and no elbows you could replace the water pipe inside the "sleeving" if it were required.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"