Thread: BBQ/Fire pit

BBQ/Fire pit

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I need some help designing a BBQ/Fire pit for my Rec Department. I'm looking at building it out of cement and block. It will be about 4 feet by 20 feet with 3 or 4 sections. We would be using it for our big chicken BBQ feeding around 200 people and it might also be used by smaller groups that rent our place. I know I could just make a box with the blocks but what about a draft and how to clean it out without having to scoop it all by hand and so it doesn't fill with rain water. Any help would be great. Thanks

Re: BBQ/Fire pit

Whatcher yewsin fer fewl? Wood? Charcoal? Gas?

To keep it from filling up, just don't mortar between the blocks on the bottom row.

As for cleaning, there ain't no easy way that I know of.

Have you considered making a bunch of 55 gallon barrel stoves?

We would be using mostly charcoal and I'd guess there would be some wood also. We've used 275 gallon oil tanks but they rust after a short time and don't look good. They have even grown legs and walked away.

Yo! Bull... A down side to using conventional block and cement/mortar is that it can absorb a lot of moisture and then when heated (some folks think the bigger the fire the better) the absorbed moisture can cause a steam explosion that at best blows up some of the masonry and at worst blinds or otherwise injures a user or innocent bystander. Block (not grouted) is much less likely to POP than if it is filled up with concrete.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If you want to make it out of block or brick you have to line iif with fire brick or the brick they use in fire places to line it with.

Hi, Welcome aboard. You will be considered for the Longest Gap award. It is an annual award usually won by an unsuspecting newby. The time between the previous post in a thread and your post is the "gap."

5-29-06 until today (6-26-07) which might get you honorable mention but isn't likely to take top honors. Some posters leap into a conversation that died several years earlier. Still, if you have something to say on a topic go right ahead as I have seen threads revived and given new life by a "late" poster.

Again welcome aboard and don't forget to give us a little info in the bio section. It seems so contradictory to join up with a bunch of friendly folks like us but remain totally anonymous and secretive. We don't bite too often or very hard (usually.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by merich46 View Post
    If you want to make it out of block or brick you have to line iif with fire brick or the brick they use in fire places to line it with.
    Thanks for the tip about the fire brick. I am making a fire pit in my backyard this summer and I never would hae thought about fire brick. I just figured all brick or cement would not burn and therefore was safe to use.