Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 ????

Re: Ford F-150 ????

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The F-150 crew cab is not offered in lower trim options as it is aimed at yuppie larva, hair dressers, and telephone sanitizers, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a new cross-section of society that I have missed? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Then again, maybe that's exactly why I'm hybernating in the backwoods of Maine. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> yuppie larva, hair dressers, and telephone sanitizers, etc. </font color>

Okay, I got the yuppie thing, and the hairdresser thing, but what's a telephone sanitizer?

I can tell by the context that it's vermin of some sort, but what?

[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Pat, I'll have to back Bird up on the ute. The best thing about a small utility veh is no doors. Just sit down and go. I have a gas powered golfcart that is raised up 3 inches an has off road tires and a trailer hitch, and it is as handy as having a thumb. I jump on to go get the mail, use it to spot trailers, drag brush, and haul tools?ect from the house to shop or vice versa. Vickie uses it gardening, working in her flowers, picking up rocks that sprout in the yard, and it is great to take the grandkids riding. I'll bet that if you had one for a few days, you wouldn't do without one.
    Now for the truck, why not buy 1 all around truck. I have a 3500 SRW Dodge with the Cummins/auto/4x4 and it is my work truck, my daily driver, it pulls my RV/tractor/skidsteer,ect.
    I thought about getting a cheaper truck to drive around so as not to put many miles on the Dodge, but I won't find many that will be more comfortable to drive, or have nearly as much power, or get much better fuel milage. I get 18-20 around home, have pulled the backhoe up a pretty steep hill when it ran out of fuel in 4x4, and can pick up the grandkids in a pinch. I only have to buy 1 tag and keep 1 insurance policy, pay tax on 1, do maintance on 1 and only have to wash 1. Why not trade the 3500 and the dakota on a do it all truck, and not fool with all the parking hassles? Later, Nat

BIrd, NOTE: I have an air cooled VW powered Myers Manx (Knockoff) and wind it pretty tight in third gear in parts of the pastures where I won't break anything. I have been thinking of searching for an old VW transporter (swing axle) trans-axle that I could have rebuilt for really low speed (high ratio) gearing. My unit is too long legged. Does highway real good and hard pan desert and beach runs if the sand isn't too fine but it doesn't have a slow and cautious speed. If I can get it geared down so I can get some serious R's in low gear without too much road speed I can use it for running around the place. When you want to pick your way over rough spots like erosion ditches etc you can't go slow enough without feathering the clutch and I hate that.

I too have a 25 gal 12 volt operated spray rig that I use for small jobs when I don't want to use the 200 gal pasture sprayer for the 3PH. It will sit well behind the seats of the buggy or in the bed of the Dakota. I drive slow and spray left handed out the window. I allow as to how in another 5-10 years the contortions I use to in/egress the buggy will be a lot less fun. I have a cloth top for the buggy and removable cloth/plastic windowed doors and wrap around clear plastivc behind. AZll buttoned up it is almost dry at highway speeds. In sumer I just use the top cloth for sun protection and no doors.

I saw a Kubota cart being repaired. The owners grand kids rolled it over. Pretty expensive damage.

I am expecting a friend to arrive in about an hour. He is driving in from San Diego (bringing me a small sailboat.) He has several deuce and a half trucks, both gas and diesel. I can get one of those in decent runing conditioin for less than a Kubota cart with rollbar, top, and doors.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

rozett, the group to which I reffered was a mixture of paraphrasing Douglas Adams in the "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and Dan Akroyd in a movie that I can't recall the tiltle of just now. I do think there are all together too many yuppie larvae, don't you?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat, I don't know much about the deuce and a half. Our volunteer fire department got one of the military surplus ones, so I helped with installing a couple of tanks, pump, cleaning it up for painting, putting a light bar on it, etc. I only drove it a couple times; once to a big grass fire. It was a diesel, did not have power steering and you had to be ready to apply plenty of muscle power and start turning the wheel a hundred yards before you got to where you wanted it to turn. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Now it was good to go most anywhere and it would haul a big load of water, but I don't recall ever driving anything that was worse to drive, or more work to drive. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Years ago, a cousin of mine bought a pipe rail frame or chassis (dune buggy) and put VW running gear in it and I painted it for him. We had a lot of fun running that thing through creeks, hill climbing, etc. but I didn't consider it to be good for anything other than a lot of fun.

There is this niggly thing in the back of my mind that say's

"Pat likes vehicles but they must be justified/usefull and well researched"

As Pat has a prefectly good truck that he probably can never wear out I'd suggest he go out and look at some sporty two seaters much like he had in his youth to alleviate the new vehicle itch! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

He does need a reward for efforts put into building a far from ordinary house!

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Now it was good to go most anywhere and it would haul a big load of water, but I don't recall ever driving anything that was worse to drive, or more work to drive. </font color>

I'll second that! Miserable beasts!

I want one! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bird, My buggy uses the the original Bug floor pan which is what passes for a frame on the VW Beatle. I say original but about 14 inches has been cut out behind the front seats (deletes the back seat) and the two ends welded back together which, of course, shortens the already short wheelbase by another 14 inches. A one piece FRP body with no doorways is bolted on plus a full bedstead roll cage that wraps around the engine too.

My wife at 5'7" and 125 lbs drove one of the deuces off road and up a steep mining road, supposedly gravel but the "GRAVEL" was the size of my fist. Large steering wheel on the non-power steering model and a narrow band of RPM that is permissible and a manual floor shift made it interesting to her. As a lover of trucks she had a ball. Many of the newer deuces have PS and auto tranny as well as air brakes so are a lot easier to handle.

Lead the turns, eh? My buddy has one deuce with the extended bed (17 ft of bed.) I'd need to wire ahead for permission to turn!

<font color="blue"> Large steering wheel on the non-power steering model and a narrow band of RPM that is permissible and a manual floor shift made it interesting to her. </font color>

Not to mention that the shift pattern is, shall we say, non-standard? Crazy, mixed-up whacko would also describe it! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lots of fun over rough terrain with a load of soldiers complaining behind you. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]