Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bird ID Help, please.

Re: Bird ID Help, please.

Hey Bird, don't get too proud of your handiwork until you go around and look at the BACK door. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Bird, Send her up with her swatter!

Nothing succeeds like success!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bret, I don't think I have to worry about the back door. My wife's Chihuahua is worse than any kid about wanting to go in and out the back door all day, so there should always be enough activity there to keep the birds scared off. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks to everyone who offered help and or suggestions regarding the identity of the X-Bird.

My wife and I huddled on this and concede that there are various possibilities and alternate explanations. One that is a strong candidate is the painted bunting. It is about the right size and is often in tall grass under the feeders. In the grass in dappled sun and shade under the edge of a pecan tree the green and yellow blend with the grass and seem to dissapear leaving what looks like a red breasted blue backed bird.

I am down to these two alternatives: 1. there is bird as of yet unidentified, likely an escaped exotic or refugee from some storm or whatever not normall seen anywhere near her or 2. somethig like the painted bunting story above lead us astray. Most sightingw were in grass (supports camflage theory) and only a couple were in flight. A male barn swallow in straight flight may have his tail folded which hides the deep V and with the light just right and a viewer predisposed to see a blue and red bird... well it cold happen that a composit of a couple birds and viewing conditions were confused and there you have it.

I have no way of knowing if either of these is the truth. There have been no additional sightings of the X-Bird but there have been multiple sightings of painted buntings and swallows and a host of others.

Of course, I'd post info should a good solid additional sighting be made of the X-Bird.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

web page

Pat:

This bird may be on Audubon's protected/endangered list.

Egon

At last, another X-Bird sighting! Saw two this morning in the front yard.

Definitely NOT a painted bunting!

It looks to be a swallow or close cousin. I did not to see its tail fanned out so have no definte proof regarding its shape, V or not. In the morning (about 0730) sunlight it was irridescent blue over its back and bright red-orange on the belly, not just the neck or bib but much more extent of coverage.

I have never seen barn swallows on the ground much but these have been seen on the ground several ltimes. but while in the weeds/grass can't get a really detailed look.

If you painted a barn swallow bright irridescent blue on the back and red-orange on the breast (at least like the extent of red on a robin) it would look like the X-Bird.

If I followed Audubon's example I'm make a couple of these X-Birds into ex birds with a gun so they could be observed up close at my leisure and not have to wonder anymore.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat