Thread: Pature management for Dummies?

Pature management for Dummies?

I was visiting a cattle rancher the other day. And he had great looking cattle. I bought 4 heifers from him. He had his place cross fenced, jiggs planted in every pasture, plenty of water, perfect fences, etc.. I talked to him for 2 hours about his setup. My head is swimming. He says he has 2 cows per acre!!!! I have decided I want my place to be like his. He said I can call him any time with questions. But,I would like to do some research myself on pasture management. Is there a Pasture Management For Dummies out there? My place is near Needville Texas which is gulf coast area.

thanx

Re: Pature management for Dummies?

Search on the internet for rotational grazing or management intensive grazing, I bet that is what he is doing.

The Stockman Grass Farmer magazine has a lot of good information on it, there are also books you can probably get your local library to get for you on it as well.

I really like "Greener Pasturse on Your side of the fence" by Bill Murphy. You could also look at MIG, "Management-Intensive Grazing" by Jim Gerrish. Both are available at http://www.acresusa.com/books/books.asp?pcid=2

2 cows per acre is an incredibly high stocking rate. Does he have a finishing conditiong operation?

3mr, In parts of the bottom land in the Washita river valley near Lindsay, 2 head per acre can be a light load. IN recent times I've seen more crops than grazing in the most fertile arreas. In our played-out-used-to-be-cotton-farm area 8-10 acres per head can be about as intensive as you can get away with without major supplemental feeding. Of course there are many variables.

Asking how many head per acre or acres per head is like asking how high is up or how long is a roll of string.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"