Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood repair

wood repair

I know I should post this on some dedicated woodworking forum, but I don't want to have to remember another password, so...
    Does anyone have a good method for repairing a "tear out"? The planer caught the wood, and peeled up a section. Should I carefully get some glue under it, and lay it back down? Additional planing is not an option. Thank you, in advance!

Re: wood repair

Ohh -- That can be tough.

You may be able to lift up and get glue underneath. You may also mix some sawdust with the glue to overbuild area and then sand down. Or use wood filler.

Another method may be to router/or chizel out the piece and then glue in repacement which can be sanded out. [ this would be like those knots you see repaced on plywood. ]

You may also be able to drill out a round piece say 1/8 in. thick and glue in another round piece of the same diameter. [ use Forestner Bit ]

How about antiquing it??

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jazz, What is the use of the piece that messed up? Will it be painted or what? Egon pretty much covered the waterfront on typical repair methods but with more input details maybe we could fine tune a method or suggest another.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks, guys. The wood is a plank of spaulted Pecan, which will be the top of a dining table. It's 4/4 think, so plugging it probably won't work, nor look good. The finish will be tung oil, with very little stain or dye applied before the oil. The tear out may look OK, as the table will be somewhat rustic/ primitive, but I'd like to start out looking good. I am not much of a woodworker.

I think a patch or two, known as "Dutchman" would not look too bad. You could make them out of the same wood for a pretty close match.

They are sometimes added to undamaged wood just to add some interest.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Jazz, The first few ideas are: 1. Inlay a contrasting piece of wood or other material after cutting out the bad area and add other inlays symetrical to the first so it isn't an obvious bandaid, 2. Glue the loose piece down using no filler and fill the void with clear epoxy, 3. Age/distress/make rustic blemishes in a few other places so as to give the overall aged/rustic/worn look, 4 turn it over and use the other side.

Hope you find an acceptable "fix."

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jazz, I was rushed when making the earlier suggestions. On reflection/rumination I think maybe in the category I mentioned "other materials" that silver dollars or some such would be nice inlaid.

Even if you are going for a nearly natural (with a bit of oil) finish you might want to inlay something (silver dollars, rowels from spurs, or whatever) slightly below the surface and then fill with clear epoxy. The object d'art would be still very visible but not admit any spilled liquid nor would it be so subject to tarnish or scratching from "traffic" on the table.

I'm sorry you had this problem but the fix just might be an embelishment that is an improvement on your "artistic statement." It sure got me to thinking about things I may do when I get around to decorating downstairs in the "rustic and western" motif zone.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do and please share before and after pix with us.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat

The "before" picture is currently a stack of lumber. I will try to post the pictures when the table materializes.

Thanks for the ideas, all.

Jazz, re the before/after... I meant the damaged area of the board in question, not the whole table but of course would be happy to see the table as well.

Update (unrelated to the orginal post). One of the ends of the table.