Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feral Hogs

Re: Feral Hogs

I never said it was a fake, but do you really think it was a feral hog that got that big. And I don't consider that kind of "hunting" to be anything to be proud of. In fact, I'd consider it something to be ashamed of. But of course I realize there are a lot of people in the world who have no objection to torturing animals, killing them slowly, etc.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    And I don't consider that kind of "hunting" to be anything to be proud of. In fact, I'd consider it something to be ashamed of. But of course I realize there are a lot of people in the world who have no objection to torturing animals, killing them slowly, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st, I am curious how we go from a hunted kill to torturing or killing an animal slowly? Regardless of how this animal was originally raised, the definition of feral hog is of an animal that may have been domestic but now runs free and gone wild. Now, you, as a presumed adult, may not be proud of such a kill as this 11 year old boy made, but for that young a boy, since it apparently was agressive towards him, was a kill to be proud of. ...for him. Even a domesticated hog still on the farm is a highly intelligent animal....and can be very aggresive and deadly dangerous. Anyone who has raised or spent much time around them knows this.

And scientific data shows that hogs are of a type of animal that can continue to grow as long as there is a food supply to support that growth. And that there is no reason why a feral hog cannot grow to well in excess of a thousand pounds. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see this mentioned. The best way (i.e. most fun, and very effective) to hunt hogs is to get your dogs (I use Rhodesian Ridgebacks for strike and bay, and a pit or two for catch) and take 'em out hunting. They will catch hogs that helicopters miss and hogs that won't go into traps. You can catch dozens in a well populated area this way. When the dogs catch them, you stick 'em with a knive. See boardogs.com or http://hogdogs.com/. This is how I have always done it, and it's fun!

Old doesn't count, Aaron. Just because you can ID the newbies as the ones who reply to really old dead threads, if you have something of interest, POST IT!

A man I met in the USAF (Deputy Commander of the 810th Aerospace Division comprised of three SAC bases each with 150 multiple warhead nuke Minute Man missiles, a squadron of B-52 nuke bombers, a squadron of tankers, etc etc) hunted pigs with a weimaraner, a dog that was originally bred for hunting in the early 19th century. Weimaraners were used by royalty for hunting large game, such as boar, bears, and deer.

He was stationed for a time in the mid east where the high class hunters hunted pig from horseback with a lance. Not being an accomplished equestrian he went out with his dog, sidearm and a guide/gun bearer for the scoped high powered rifle.

Given the results of his first outing his subsequent outings were without the guide/gun bearer and high powered rifle. The dog would chase down and ham string the boar and grab it by the throat. He had to hustle to get there in time to make a kill shot to the head before the boar expired. Neither he nor his weimaraner were ever injured doing this. I met the dog too on a SAC base north of Minot, ND.

I have been to a seminar which in additioin to other topics showed actual examples of 5 styles of hog trap. Three locals (down by Red River, southern Oklahoma) chipped in and hired a chopper for a state shooter who got over 120 hogs in one day from the chopper.

One thing is for certain... pigs are smart and learn fast. If you ever get one in a trap and don't kill it, you will never get it in a trap again.

Pig hunting is a good news bad news story. They are no longer willing to let you process the meat for charity due to concerns for liability so it mostly goes to waste. Some short sighted self centered hunters release pigs into the wild to keep up the feral population for their personal hunting pleasure with no regard for the potential for a negative economic impact on other people such as farmers with pig raided crops, pecan orchards, and such.

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"