Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feral Hogs

Parker County, Texas and Santa Fe County, NM

Re: Feral Hogs

I wish there were a few around here to hunt - I have the perfect gun (in my opinion) for it, a semi-auto .308 that takes 20-round magazines. I've shot Javelina's with it in Val Verde County, TX. Javelina are usually smaller then feral hogs but some of them are mean SOB's. Javelina's forage in the day time also.

sneaky, I'm sure you know about the running of the bulls. I did the running of the Javelina one night with my digital flash camera while my wife shouted for me to get away from them instead of chasing along in the group as thy ran through a dry wash near our campsite.

Hard to get decent shots of a dark animal at night. I can just barely make out some of their forms and of course their eyes light up well and spookily.

They do take some killing but the .308 with the right projectile is a good choice. With luck and or a well placed shot you can drop one with nearly anything but for SAFE reliable dependable stopping power you need fair umph. In closse quarters I like my M1 .30 cal semiauto gas operated carbine which has staying power when equipped with back to back banana clips of 30 rounds each. The Ruger Super Blackhawk makes a nice backup and gives great peace of mind for those times when the ole M1 gets cranky.

Can you believe I heard a couple BOZOS discuss going after hogs with their new .17 (not the old HD wildcats but the new cartridge based on the .22 rin fire magnum!!) I D I O T S

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Parker County, Texas and Santa Fe County, NM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The Ruger Super Blackhawk makes a nice backup and gives great peace of mind for those times when the ole M1 gets cranky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like to have some back-up too, a 1911-style .45 ACP.

Can you believe I heard a couple BOZOS discuss going after hogs with their new .17 (not the old HD wildcats but the new cartridge based on the .22 rin fire magnum!!) I D I O T S

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly wouldn't be my choice.

.45 is my choice for 2 legged critters, but I wouldn't choose to use it on a hog.

.17 rimfire? Nevermind, Pat, I agree. ANY .17 is the wrong choice for hogs!

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level

Down here is south Louisiana, Boudreaux and his dog are the best hog catching team we have. Attached is a photo of his dog in action.
    PS Boudreaux is a little near-sighted.

I know this is an old thread but thought I would post this photo of the latest "hogzilla". This one was shot by a 14 year old boy with a pistol. Took 3 or 4 shots.

Yeah, that would have really been something if it had really been a feral hog. But you might want to read http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp for a little more information about it.

eah, that would have really been something if it had really been a feral hog. But you might want to read http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp for a little more information about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That link is to a different hog. The photo I posted was of one that was well documented. I guess they called it Superhog, but it was documented and confirmed by even the major news services. They even interviewed the kid that shot it on several of the major news shows and even had him on the Fox news network.

That link is to a different hog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you only looked at the first part ot the link. Scroll on down to the bottom to the second story and the same picture you posted.

I think you only looked at the first part ot the link. Scroll on down to the bottom to the second story and the same picture you posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to the link below. It wasnt a pet as suggested by the site you linked. Nor was it fake or faked.

http://www.monsterpig.com/get_the_truth.htm