Thread: front or rear tack room?

front or rear tack room?

I am shopping for a horse and stock trailer. I'd like to buy one trailer to accommodate both, so I am looking at a goose neck, three horse, slant load. My question is: is a front or rear tack better? I can see that the front tack room gives a bit more room for hauling cattle, but the rear tack seems to offer a more secure area for hauling that third horse (unlikely that I'd ever haul three at a time, but you never know).
    Any suggestions/experiences?

Re: front or rear tack room?

Rik, I suppose you can do what you say but I have never seen multi-horse trailers with slant configuratioin used for a stock trailer. All the stock trailers I see around these parts are used to haul cattle, in bulk. Once in a while as a convenience/neccessity folks will haul a horse in a stock trailer but I don't like the idea of giving them that much room as they could be injured.

Removable interior spacer/walls would allow you to configure for bulk (cattle) hauling and subdivided horse hauling.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

Slant loading trailers are quite common.

Egon

We love our open stock trailer. 4 horse with tack room up front. We haven't had any problems with our horses being stupid in the trailer. I will never go back to a bumper pull. And when we go camping with the horses and it rains we just sleep in the gooseneck.

Steve

We haul cattle in our 3 horse slant bumper pull horse trailer, the partitions come out easily....

I have hauled 8 head in there before, they were around 600 pounds each so they were smaller ones.

The one that I am looking at now is a 2006 Ponderosa three horse slant load that is on ebay (Ponderosa Trailer). I'm not sure if the partitions are removable, but I will check it out.
    I've been looking for a used one to save a few bucks, but I haven't ran across a good one yet.

Egon, Yes, I have seen lots of them but thought they were all horse trailers, at least the ones with confirmed passengers. I can see how slant load would be good for show animals where you need to take extra care and be able to access a specific animal but I have never seen them (that I know of) used as a general haul-them-to-the-sale-barn appliance. At the Oklahoma City stockyards (one of major stockyards) and at lesser operations like SOLA (Southern Oklahoma LIvestock Auction) in Ada I see lots of beef loading and unloading but don't recall stock trailers being used that had individual compartments for each head. Still, could be I'm not paying slose enough attention.

Keep in mind my limited experience and level of alertness. My not knowing about something doesn't neccessarily mean it isn't being done.

Are we saying the same thing when we say slant load? To me the term implies animals housed in separate compartments that run on the bias several degrees from fore and aft.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Actually most of the newer ones have both a front and rear tack room. Plus almost all of the trailer companies will build what you want. The most common ones sold around here have a large front tack room and a small saddle compartment in the rear. The rear one can be taken out if desired. All of the one 's I have looked at the compartment devideres were foldable to the side and also easily removed. We too are looking for a good three horse slant load. I do not see any problem hauling stock in one lots of people do and I see people hauling hay and ATV's in them. I have not had much luck looking for used ones. They seem to cost almost as a new one. The big difference seems to be if you want a steel one (cheaper) or an aluminum one. The best dealer close to me sells steel ones. They are a little heavier and will rust but rust is not a problem here in AZ. I really like the ones that have a door between the front tack room and the stalls.

Ours has the standard swing gate on the rear that opens up the back completely, it also has a sliding 'stock' gate built into that door.

Ours has swinging partitions, when using it with horses you fold the partitions back, lead the first horse in and tie him ( or not, I don't tie them ), swing his partition over and pin it, then do the same for the other horses.

For cattle I just remove all the partitions and it's like a normal open stock trailer except for the angled part up front where the saddles and tack are stored and accessed from an outside door.