Thread: Dead Grass Square - Methinks over the Septic Cover

Dead Grass Square - Methinks over the Septic Cover

I have a perfectly square dead spot of grass - directly over where I believe the top to our septic tank is. I cant remember if the top is square or round (would think it's round) but cant recall for sure.

Any suggestions WHY the grass would be dead just over the tank opening?

Thanks in advance.

Windknot in Michigan

Re: Dead Grass Square - Methinks over the Septic Cover

My septic tanks were round and it wasn't unusual to see exactly where they were in the heat of the summer because of the dead grass over them. The dirt on top of the tanks wasn't deep enough to retain enough moisture, so it would dry out and the grass would die.

Re: Dead Grass Square - Methinks over the Septic C

Yup! What Bird said. Funny, it is almost compensation for the extra green over the leach field. I have the sma thing at my mom's house but the last couple sprinkles relieved it pretty well. You can add more soil, water that area more, camoflage it with some feature, or try not to worry about it.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Dead Grass Square - Methinks over the Septic Cover

If you put copper sulfate (blue stuff) in your toilets to kill tree roots and keep them "fresh", and the tank is full, then the copper sulfate is leaching out and killing the grass. Pull it up and take a look. Be brave. Get a Septic Expert out there if this is true and have it pumped. Hope its just too little moisture or dirt...