Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday; It was a very good day, Almost

Wednesday; It was a very good day, Almost

Wednesday: It began as a lovely day. Morning coffee partaken of in the light morning mist amid the sound of birds and smell of Lilac blossoms.
    A morning yard slug patrol.
    Then to reorganizing the chaos of the trailer contents.
    As the morning heat increased the lawn was mowed.
    Numerous small gardening chores were dispossed of.
    Another successful slug patrol.
    Yard rakings and other organic items were loaded into the trailer for transfer to the farm compost pile.
    A new slug control tool was fabricated.
    All was good. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It was reward time, a relaxing cool drink in the well shaded handkerchief sized back yard. Life was good! Then it happened without warning; a large white splotch appeared on my T shirt! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'd been bombed by an overflying member of the Bird Family! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Wednesday; It was a very good day, Almost

Egon, I suspect it was Pat's X-bird.

But hey, why did you post this under hobbies? Is slug hunting your avocation?

Slug hunting is a very relaxing morning exersize! I also exterminate wire worms during this morning activity! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

By goshens it just may have been a " Stealth X - Bird " as I never saw the miscreant! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, If you put out saucers with beer in them or bowls sunk down in the dirt so the top is near ground level the slugs and snails will mob the container and die like so many legless lemmings.

I assume you are trying to avoid poisons for control and that slug hunting isn't really so fascinating for you that you prefer it over sacrificing a can of beer now and then.

This is not a hoax, it works very well.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Pat. I was aware of the beer thing. I also have some other types of traps. [ non chemical ] Neither work to my satisfaction.

I do enjoy the morning slug patrol which also includes wire worm control.

There are probably comments about tow relating to the crazy old man in the yellow house! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

During a break in the rain yesterday I took a break from rebuilding my pressure washer to have a cold drink. One of them little slug fellows almost made it into my mug on a controled drop from an overhanging tree. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There is slug bait but it has no know antidote and will ensure a very difficult death to any animals or birds that get into it.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I applaud your not using broad-spectrum poisons.
    Beside that, I am content with this picture in my mind: Egon tip-toeing through the garden. He turns toward the camera and says, "Shhhhh- I'm hunting swugs."

Egon You said, "There is slug bait but it has no know antidote and will ensure a very difficult death to any animals or birds that get into it." That is why I used beer. It worked really well in San Diego but I haven't tried it here.

Alternatively you can lay the slug down on a sturdy board with a small grove to aid in holding the slug (temporarily) and then give it a good thunk with a mallet. A guy used to sell these devices for $5, guaranteed to kill slugs and snails.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

No No no Please Please That statement may be mistaken for

" Tiptoeing thru the Tulips "

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Picture the crazy old man in the yellow house doing his Tiny Tim impersonation! or alternatively...

A hush falls over the gallery as the crazy old man from the yellow house lines up his next shot. Yes, I believe he is taking his caddy's suggestion and is using the 9, no I believe that is the 7 iron.

He dopes the wind with practiced eye, takes a last lingering look at the lie, and then almost casually slowly brings the club head back to "full cock" before unleashing the "power stroke" for which he is renowned world wide and YESSSS! he really gets under that slug and propells it across the yard to within inches of the pin. The crown roars (and wipes the odd droplet of slug guts) their satisfaction with his superb early morning performance. Quite a spectacle. Now these words from...

You guys are sick! Everyone knows that a driver is the club of choice!