Thread: Neutralizing chicken waste odor.

Neutralizing chicken waste odor.

I have four hens + one rooster in an area that is 24x50. So far, no problems keeping the coop clean but the waste that is deposited on the ground is another matter. The ground down here in LA (lower Alabama) is prarie gumbo that stays wet/moist this time of year. Therefore, the droppings do not dry out and are eventually mixed in with the soil. The resulting odor is getting pretty stout. Is there anything I can use (spread around) that will neutralize or mask the odor of the chicken waste that is on the ground? Ideas, anyone?

Re: Neutralizing chicken waste odor.

I think lime is most commonly used.

All I can add is distance and stay upwind! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lime or Stall Dry work. I buy Stall Dry from the feed store, it is Diatamacious Earth (sp?) it neutralizes odor from the horses, and is non toxic. If you use Lime, it can burn if it sticks to the feet of the chickens if you don't mix it into the soil.

Joe

Sounds like you could consider one of those portable coops to spread the problem a little thinner. Maybe you could but down a decent cover of straw and remove it a good distance for disposal/composting.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I used lots of wheat straw. When they overpower it, I put it in the garden for mulch.

Straw on the floor. cleaned the chiken litter out with the straw and spread it on the pasture, worked great.