Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiled Peanuts in Pressure Cooker

Boiled Peanuts in Pressure Cooker

For anyone who likes boiled peanuts and have never used a pressure cooker to make them. I have been doing it like this for about 6 years and there are some tricks. I cook them for 25 minutes under pressure then let them cool in the salted water. If you don't let them cool in the water they tend to shrivel up and the salt doesen't get into them.
    For those not familiar with regular boiling it takes about 2-4 hours depending on the size of the batch.

Re: Boiled Peanuts in Pressure Cooker

Tell me more about boiling peanuts. I'm a peanut addict, but I get the raw shelled jumbo Spanish peanuts, roast them in the microwave, then add butter or margarine and salt. I've never boiled any. I do like the peanuts that are "roasted?" and salted still in the shell. Are you talking about boiling peanuts in the shell or after being shelled?

Boiled peanuts are popular here in the south. You take green peanuts right out of the ground in the shell, wash them good and boil them either in a large pot or as in my case pressure cooker. You add about 1/4 box of salt to a gallon water/peanuts. When cooked they have a cooked bean texture, firm but soft. I've been told you can cook dried peanuts after soaking them but have never tried it.
    They are like potato chips in that you can't eat just one! Also the not fully developed peanuts have soft shells and you can eat the hole thing shell and all. Very addictive. They are best when hot but can be kept in the fridge for a couple weeks.

I'd like to try them sometime. It really doesn't sound very good to me, and I have one friend who told me he had tried them and they were terrible. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Guess it just depends on your taste. My parents used to like the raw shelled peanuts, and I don't care for that either; I want mine roasted.

Bird, (et al), Don't you recall this ditty?

Peas, peas, peas, peas
    Eating goober peas
    Goodness, how delicious,
    Eating goober peas.

This was a popular soldiers song of the civil war (AKA war of northern aggression)

Lyrics and Music to eatin' goober peas.

As you may well guess soldier wags of the era made up a lot more verses than in this (kid safe) version on this Government web site but they got the tune right!

I (partially) recall several other verses containing words about peas upon a trencher and another about the "Entire Georgia militia, eatin' goober peas." Unfortunately all I could find in the first several hits I examined were what seems to be the SAME shortened and not so image envoking version.

I hadn't seen the lyrics for over 50 years but I recall much of them.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep, Pat, I do remember that little ditty. And I might like boiled peanuts, but have my doubts. You know how little things affect us, and we never forget them. I spent 6 weeks in the Crippled Children's Hospital in Oklahoma City when I was 9 years old for surgery on my left foot to correct some the effects of polio. One evening, supper included English peas and peanuts cooked (boiled) together. I'd never seen that before (or since), I didn't like it, but I ate it, and that night I was very, very sick, vomiting, etc. Now I know, logically, that the peas and goober peas likely had nothing to do with my illness that night, but I avoided English peas for years, and fortunately, never again saw any with peanuts in them. I do eat English peas now, but they're way down low on the desireability list. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bird, I know there must be great survival value to having a strong revulsion to any food assciated with severe gastric distress, expecially vomiting. That helped keep our ancestors from eating the same poison over and over. Too bad it is so hard to "deprogram" since totally inocent food items get on the "persona non grata" list. Sometimes over the years these food phobias will fade but it is amazing how long a powerful revulsion will live on. One whiff of the black listed item will really turn you off.

With strong enough feedback, you don't need endless repetition to develop a conditioned response. A good friend had testicular cancer and had one testiccal removed and lots of radiation treatments to ensure non-spread. The particle accelerator they used ran on extremely high voltages and produced prodigious quantities of ozone. THey had him eat befor the treatrment (stopped at McD's for burger and fries) so he would have something to throw up. HE would smell the ozone and soon after get violently sick to his stomache from the radiation. His body just associated the smell of ozone with the throwing up and it took a few years before he could smell ozone (like from a thunderstorm's lightning) and not want to immediately "toss his cookies."

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I just purchased a pressure cooker, and wanted to cook up a nice batch of boiled peanuts in it. However, I am not sure as to how to go about doing it. How much water & salt do you put in? And you only cook them for 25 minutes? Cool! Sure beats boiling them for several hours!

They are best when hot but can be kept in the fridge for a couple weeks.

They freeze well too, but don't add as much salt if you intend to freeze as they seem to take up the salt more for some reason during the freeze/thaw process. I often boil a bushel when they're available and freeze for later in the year.

I try to leave about 1 inch from the top for the water and peanuts. The peanuts don't need to float in the water like when you boil them. I ad about 1/4 box of salt. Once the pressure gets up and starts hissing then you start timing for 25 min. I remove from heat and let cool with the pressure on for about 15 minutes then open and leave in the water until cool. This lets the salt and water to soak in. If you don't let it soak in they are cooked but dry and not salty. Good luck! tim