Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: critters, pests...whatever's out there! SCORPIONS!

critters, pests...whatever\'s out there! SCORPIONS!

There are a few commercial products intended for indoor residential use in spraying for scorpions but I have no knowlege of their effectivity and would like to hear user reports. I am not only interested in controlling the scorpions but in not unduly poisoning the air we breathe or staining the baseboards and or carpets.

I killed a 3 inch (I didn't measure it) scorpion on the carpet in our bedroom. It ran for cover under the bedroom linen closet door but was visible when I opened the door and I gave it a good whack with a large sized paint stirring stick with no apparent effect (its shields were not damaged, captain) I made a cutting/pressing stroke across it to no avail as the carpet gave it cushioning to sink into.

Similar treatment, to scale, would have easily killed any of us mere mortals leaving a mangled bloody heap of nearly unrecognizable pureed people stuff.

Mr. Scorpion ducked unde a pile of plastic storage bags of bed clothes. I yanked away his cover and concealment and proceeded to apply about 40lbs to his mid section with my vorpal swoard, I mean paint stick. I'm not sure how extensive the damage was to his life support systems or weapons array but as he slipped from sight in a descending vortex of swirling water he didn't seem to be effecting any particular recognizable swimming stroke.

Any recommendatiions? As much fun as it is to "deal" with them, I'd just as soon not have my wife step on one in the dark, barefoot.

I have purchased some granular products for spreading outside around the perriphery of the house. That should limit the numbers comiing in. My concern is the ones that are already in. A couple months ago I killed a smaller one in my shop, I think. It ran under the sheetrock where there isn't any baseboard yet and I cleaned its brakes with spray cleaner/degreaser type brake and electric motor cleaner, the first aerosol I could lay hands on. Then found my wasp and hornet stream sprayer and shot some in too for good measure. Never saw the critter again and assume I got it. (Crosses fingers and whistles a little tune)

I'd like to start at the more ecologically responsible end of the spectrum and work my way, as required, toward nuclear weapons.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: critters, pests...whatever\'s out there! SCORPIONS!

Pat, scorpions are another of those things that the mind never forgets. I think I was about 7 years old when one got in the bed with me. He stung me 3 times before I could get of bed yelling for help. I have no idea how effective the do-it-yourself chemicals are, but when we bought a new house in '72, I think it was the first or second night we were there that I saw two small scorpions and we had 3 and 6 year old daughters at the time. So the next day, I had a professional exterminator out there, and never saw another scorpion in the house. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: critters, pests...whatever\'s out there! SCORPI

Bird, If I spray indoors around the baseboards and under sinks etc and put the granules around the perimmeter of the bld AND THEN still get scorpions you may rest assured I will be on the phone to round up professional assistance.

There are LED flashlights on the market that emit UV and not much if any visible (to people) light. Scorpions glow strongly under "black" light. You can use one of these lights to "find" scorpions as well as indications of rodent infestation or activity.

Rodent urine also glows brightly under a UV light source. Inspectors of grain (and similar) storage facilities use UV to estimate rat populations and activity levels in the storage facilities. Of course if the personnel know an inspector is coming they get out their own black light and a grain scoop and hide the evidence. Try not to think of this while eating toast and cereal.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just use a size 8EEE boot. Of course if they're on the ceiling, I use the swat-stomp method - knock it down with a fly swatter, then stomp. But then we don't have carpeting...

Sure wish I could use this method on chiggers. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat
    I use Viper Insecticide (25.3% Cypermethrin) for scorpions, spiders, ants, wasps, roaches, etc . A 4 oz bottle costs about $16.00 at my local feed store (Dennards in Whitesboro, TX), & makes 4 gallons of spray. I spray foundation walls, brick weep holes, & inside perimeter wall base board molding. It has about a 4 month residual effect, so I usually spray in March/April & again in July/August. Works great!

Marty Anderson

What are chiggers? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ergon,

Come down to Missouri for a visit and I'll teach you what they are!

From this website: Chiggers

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Probably no creature on earth can cause as much torment for its size than the tiny chigger. Tiny six-legged chigger larvae attack campers, picnickers, hikers, bird watchers, berry pickers, fishermen, soldiers, and homeowners in low, damp areas where vegetation is rank such as woodlands, berry patches, orchards, along lakes and streams, and even in drier places where vegetation is low such as lawns, golf courses, and parks. They are most numerous in early summer when grass, weeds and other vegetation are heaviest. Chiggers do not burrow into the skin, but insert their mouthparts in a skin pore or hair follicle. Their bites produce small, reddish welts on the skin accompanied by intense itching as irritating as acute cases of poison ivory or poison sumac. These symptoms often are the only way of learning that an outdoor area is infested since chiggers are so small that most cannot be seen without a magnifying glass. Chiggers feed on a wide variety of snakes, turtles, birds, and small mammals as well as humans.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Hondo, So if you get up in the night and walk around, you put your boots on first? If my mission is one of sufficient urgency that it woke me up (thunder storms don't usually do it) I probably want to proceed to the bathroom and not put on boots. I also would not like to tread upon any errant scorpions too.

So there we have it, the conflict of requirements. Walking in a darkened room at night, barefoot, but not subject to stepping on a scoprion.

We got a short drizzle yesterday and may get more in next couple days but toward the weekend it will be dry, some windy, and about 100F. I will be out early trying to beat the heat circling the house wilth a spreader putting out insect killing granules to reduce the number of insects with an opportunity to get into the house.

What is left to plan is something to handle the ones inside but not poison ourselves in the process.

If only there were an available affordable scorpion attractant/pheremone...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat,

Why not install the correct wavelength UV lamp as a nightlight? The scorpions will glow and be easy to avoid. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Actually, I just slip on my flip flops. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]