Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: critters, pests...whatever's out there! SCORPIONS!

Re: critters, pests...whatever\'s out there! SCORPIONS!

Egon,

You don't wanna know. Believe me! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: critters, pests...whatever\'s out there! SCORPI

Gary, Great suggestion! We could be working on our tans and cataracts too at the same time.

Actually, not such a bad idea. The low pressure long wave UV tubes have a useful spectral ouitput. These are the blacklights that look like standard fluorescent tubes except are dark instead of white and glow blue/purple (have some visible output) when runing.

There are UV LED's too for the truly energy conscious.

Now if UV would keep them out of bed (see Birds post) or out of clothes or shoes or... then you'd be on to something.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hondo, Works for little scorpions but a good sized one when stepped on could arch its STINGER missle up and over and nail you!

Interesting, Russian roulette with your feet.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Marty, I found what I want on ebay but have been struggling to buy it as I was stuck in a loop in their paypal software and couldn't get it bought but I haven't given up yet.

I am trying to buy a one pound jar of the dry material for about $67. It will make many many gallons of spray when mixed with water and it has a good shelf life so I don't have to worry about storing it for a while prior to mixing. IT is supposed to be good for scorpions, spiders, German roaches, ants, and so forth. It is supposed to have a good residual effect and last at least 3 months or more. I likke the fact that it is colorless and odorless and very low toxicity for humans (family trait for pyretheroids.)

Thanks again for the info. It is EXACTLY what I needed to know to head me in the right direction.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What can I say, I just like to live dangerously! With my luck I'll get stung, for the first time (by a scorpion, that is), this week. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hondo, There are various combinations of factors to be considered in risk management. I live at or very near the geographic center of tornado alley..... yet the mathematical probablilitiy of a residential structure in this area receiving significant tornadic damage (not just a blown off shingle and not complete destruction but significant damage that could be life threatening) is on the order of once in 4000 years according to the weather scientists and climatologists at the NOAA severe weather HQ at Norman, OK (south side suburb of OKC, home of OU.)

It is much more likely that I will be stung by a scorpion. I have a safe room, two actually, my master bedroom and a guest bedroom are both nearly bomb proof. To not take precautions against scorpions would be illogical unless I didn't mind the consequences, another important factor in risk management.

Some events are pretty likely but the consequences are not particularly disastrous so you don't take measures to ameliorate the likelihood of an occurence or related loss. For example, a deductable on collision insurance. You will probably get a ding sooner or later but if it is less than say 250 or 500 bucks you take your chances.

Stinging insects and ones capable of carrying disease really creep me out. Scorpions around here for folks with normal reactions and no super sensitive alergies are more of a nuisience than a health threat but I have a strong (perhaps over) reaction to the idea of being stung. I have spent time where some of the scorpions are life threatening.

Recent encounter. I was helping a new arrival to the area from Hawaii. Wasp looking critters were buzzing around and I ignored them mostly. Sometimes I swat them out of the air with my hand and then step on them. It works if your quick. I have never been stung doing this. If I ignore wasps, hornets, bees etc they don't sting me, so far. The lady saw one and began a retreat. I saw one go straight up to the lady while she was walking quickly away and immediattely sting her on the back of her upper arm through her blouse. She is alergic and had to take medicine and quit for the day with a big welt and dizziness. I have never in decades seen an insect do like that with no provocation. Apparently there is something about her and bugs.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

Just be carefull in the bathtub or shower! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Egon, I'm afraid you may have been a little less forthcoming in your terse comment than required to key me in to your intent. Are you talking about household hazards in general or is there something about scorpions liking bathtubs and showers?

Maybe he's thinking of the "drain monsters"!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Yeah, I think I saw a special on those on TV. Just when you thought it was safe to use your bath tub or shower.... ZZZZOT, they get you! Later evidence shows they are developing resistance to Drano, bleach, mothballs, and other standard household chemicals even muriatic acid and lye. They even survive freeze thaw cycles and can go dormant for decades in a dry environment and become dangerously active within a few minutes upon being reconstitiuted with water.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]