Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Endless coon supply

Re: Endless coon supply

Chuck, We now have reliable reports that coons taste like pork and BBQ well so you can eat your produce after all.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Got another one the other day. A young'un again. I have dropped four at a conservation area near the Missouri river, five along a rural road with no houses in sight, and the last one again near the river and not near any houses. I have no interest in causing other folks the same problem I've got with what seems a pretty thick coon population. Unless they're getting into gardens, or causing other damage to property, I've got no grudge against raccooons. Until they hit my corn they were just another element of rural life. I plan to make my main garden essentially varmint free with fencing, but I doubt I'll ever fence my corn patch that way.....too much trouble and expense. It looks like my efforts at reducing the population have paid off because the corn is coming in and I'll get some! I think the nine coons I've removed could have done in the whole crop in one night.

I haven't heard much about rabies here in mid-Missouri. No doubt it is around, and no doubt raccoons carry it, but I don't think killing every one I catch is likely to impact that much.

Chuck

Chuck, Our philosophies seem nearly congruent. Even the Canadian Gov isn't out to poison the coons, just dose them with a vaccine against rabies.

Note: Rabies can be carried/contracted by any mamal.

The cute little armadilos are carriers of leprosy!!! They don't neccessarily get it but are a reservoir for it.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"