Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new one on me

Re: A new one on me

Expextorating is not a nice word at the present time. I have been blessed with a lovely summer cold during our hottest days this year and could easily fill a hand with one good huck.

Temp did get above zero! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Do yo require a lisc to "incerate" weeds? If you place the jug just right you might also I N C I N E R A T E a weed. Actually incerate is a perfectly good word, just don't understand your usage.

It has been hypothesized that glass has started wildfires under optimum conditions of good tinder, low wind, and really dry conditions.

Even a moderate, just a few square feet, of Fresnel (pronounced fre-NELL) lenses adjusted to have a common focus can under bright sun conditions create enough heat to melt a coin. You can expect a much smaller one to be more than adequate to crisp a bug so quick it won't have time to react and get out of the way. A square Foot sized lense, about the size used on the back door of campers to give a wide angle view will crisp bugs quickly.

I think the world is ready for a proximity detector (beam break type) controlling a powerful green laser pointer type laser that is used to incinerate bugs passing through the beam which is switched on when the sensor beam is broken. Bait would be used to encourage the flies and other bugs to get near the kill zone (anywhere along the laser beams path within reason as the beam divergence is quite small.) There is no chance for acquired immunity to protect the bugs as has happened with a lot of pests we spray for. We spray till we poison the environment and ourselves and the bugs develop resistance and go on. Fried bugs don't pass on genes better suited for survival.

Green lasers powerful enough to melt a hole in a dark garbage bag are legal in the US but I don't know about Canada so Egon, you might have to stick with the magnifying glass.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Egon, sorry to hear of your difficulty. Try lemon juice in 151 rum with a little honey to cut the edge. It may not help but it can make you less concerned and the lemon helps cut the risk of scurvy getting to you in your weakened state.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The word is spelled HARRUMPH. If you need to make jest of what I said get it right. You seem like an intelligent person.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

My present ill and feeble state only exaberates my mentally challenged normal state! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Since the common usage of keyboards my spelling has futher deteriorated and I hope the members here will help me out when mistakes are made. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Open containers of water may be placed for wasps??? I beleive they are looking for hydrating beverage just as we do.

Now whats with this Fresnel lense nonsence. Just use an ordinary easily available magnifying glass that most of us old folks have at hand. It will work quite well heating objects to the point of igninition.

Many years ago in another life I had to take a Sunshot using a Wild T2 Theodalite. As it was obvious we could not look through the eyepiece we used a clipboard with a sheet of white paper on it to adjust and track the sun. The readings from this instrument were attained by looking through another optical eypiece adjacent the the main one. I have as a reminder a pair of glasses with heavy black plastic frames that have a hole burned into the plastic. I think I was very fortunate.

Also in my youth there were early summer events call Farm Days. Different exhibits, ball games and catching up on post planting season gossip seemd to be the main attractions. Now this was in the days before Station wagons became popular so lunch was often a trunk party. On one such occasion a glass jug of water was left sitting on a horse blanket on the floor of the car trunk. Smoke soon started curling up from the blanket in a spot where the sun's rays had been concentrated.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

raptor, Now there is an acusation, incinuation, or whatever that isn't often made toward me. As per spelling. My spelling, in a word, SUCKS! I have envoked the proposition that "misspelling a word the same way multiple times in fact is an "alternate spelling." I'm thinking of relaxing the requirement to spell it wrong the same way.

Would you believe there are legitimate regional dialects that pronounce and spell harrumph differently? Since so many use Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" performance as a guide you'd think that would enhance standardization.

Once upon a time I was a fair speller. Then I took several semesters of German, studied a bit of Russian but let the Cyrillic alphabet put me off (this on top of previous Latin and Spanish classes) and found that if I wasn't careful I found myself using German word endings on English words. I think "dt" was one of the most frequent transgressions.

If I wasn't careful when speaking a foreign language and didn't have the right word in my vocabulary I would use the right word but from another language. I guess my subconscious groups foreign language together and has lower fences between them than between Englinsh and a foreign language.

The above plus fat fingers which seem to frequently hit two keys at the same time makes my typing somewhat erratic when I try to go very fast. I am a graduate, magnum cum nauseum, of the "Christopher Columbus School of Touch Typing" where I look for, discover, and land on the keys one at a time. If I try to go faster, interesting things result.

Seriously, I was sent to a typing class when I was in the USAF and my certificate proclaims my final speed test clocked me at 15 words per minute before correcting for errors. I can send and receive Morse code faster than that, even when writing it down in all caps with paper and pencil.

It isn't that I don't know any better (much of the time), as regards my many errors in trying to communicate, it is that I am mostly too impatient to go slow enough to get it right. If I wasn't so lazy I could compose posts in another applicatiion, spell check them and then paste into the composition window provided here.

I need a text filter like Isaac Asimov had in the early days of word processors. He consistently made many spelling errors and the program was set up to auto correct his "favorite" spellings to standard spellings.

If I recall the quote correctly - Emerson, I believe:
    "A petty consistancy is a hobgoblin of little minds" Chris

If you can get a look at the writings of William Clark you will find that the fine old tradition of "alterate splellings" was a mainstay of the Lewis and Clark expedition, without which I might not be in Oregon today! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Elkandir

The story I heard from the crew at the local GREASY spoon is that there needs to be two pennys in the bag. The flies see the penny's as bird's eyes and stay away. This joint would hang the bags in the front door way (while open). It must have worked, the flies never went out that door! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This is most interesting. We went out to eat this evening with our daughter and son-in-law and they asked me if I had any idea why all those clear plastic bags of water were hanging all around the restaurant's front porch, back under the eaves. If it hadn't been for this thread, I would have had no idea. Incidentally, each bag had one penny; not two. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The bags were not ziploc bags, but were tied with a string at the top. They were possibly about the size of, or a little larger than, a one gallon ziploc bag.