Thread: winter squash

winter squash

I'm trying winter squash in the garden for the first time and have some questions about when to harvest. I have acorn, golden Hubbard, butternut and buttercup going. Most sites I've read say the squash is ready when you cannot easily pierce the rind with your fingernail. Some of the butternut already pass that test, and the faint striping on the fruits is also about gone. The golden Hubbards still seem a bit soft, at least as compared to the butternut. However, their color is getting a bit more dull than it was, which is another sign of ripeness. How long can these squash be left on the vine after they are ripe? Some sites talk about harvesting before first frost, but it seems some of my squash will be "ready" long before then.

My squash plot is a jungle. I planted them way too close together, but they all seem happy to grow all over each other. I also have two kinds of watermelon and two kinds of pumpkin in the same plot. One of the pumpkin vines thinks it is the magic bean vine and is heading for St. Louis.

Chuck

Re: winter squash

Our squash and cucumbers have also taken over the garden plot. I took the acorn squash out when they looked to be about the correct size. You could (very discretely) try your thumbnail test on some squashies in the grocery store.

I'll grow out a thumbnail specifically for that purpose! I was down at the plot this morning and decided to pick one of several small pie pumpkins which are nicely orange. I'm not at all sure what we'll do with the pumpkins anyway. The field pumpkins are really only good for Jack-o-lanterns and seeds. The pie pumpkins are good for, well pie I suppose, but I've never been able to tell much difference between pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin and that made from fresh. Plus, we only eat pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas. Soup is another possibility I suppose. The squash may prove more versatile. I really like butternut squash soup, and just baked squash with a bit of butter and brown sugar can be nice. Anyway, it sounds like the idea is to pick them when ripe and not wait until the foliage begins to die back. That was my question, really.

Chuck

Chuck,

You need to try some maple syrup instead of brown sugar on acorn squash. It bakes up real nice, and helps keep it moist.

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

I have used squash as a container for soup. Done at low heat in the oven many different varieties can be made. Or the squash may be stuffed with other goodies with very good results! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And yess; you get to eat most of the bowl! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Right again! Sausage and mixtures containing sausage are good choices to help boost the mild flavor of squash. Spiced up tomato soup is another good one.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Last year my Conneticut field pumpkins (6-8 hills) tried for St. Louis, but I got them cut off about Hwy. 63.
    Two Saturdays in October I loaded up a pickup full and took them to the farmers market. Sold out both days by noon at $3.00 apiece. And got to meet a lot of interesting folks and had a little fun.
    Put the rest in the farm truck and parked it in front of the local barber shop with a "Free" sign. Problem solved. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Soak seeds in melted butter, spread in a single layer on a foiled baking sheet, season to your taste, bake at 325 about 45 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crunchy

Good suggestions. I never let the seeds go to waste when we make jack-o-lanterns. I get my roughage for the year eating pumpkin seeds in October. I hope mine last that long, since they're going orange on me already. I have a root cellar, and I'll let them cure and then put them down there. I have read that it helps to wipe them down with a mild bleach solution, which kills most of the organisms that induce rot.

I picked a nice big golden Hubbard yesterday. It's big enough to serve all three of us. I think I'll try some kind of savory stuffing with sausage.

Thanks for the ideas.

Chuck