Thread: rip cutting down into a stump

rip cutting down into a stump

Would I be right to think that after I cut a tree down, that if I use the chainsaw to cut down into the stump that I should sharpen the chain to a straight across angle?(no angle to it as you do if you are using it to rip lumber from the logs.) As the downward cutting action would be ripping as opposed to crosscut.
    Allan

Re: rip cutting down into a stump

Theoretically according to some. 0 to 5 degrees or so will be OK. There is an easier way. Drill a bunch of large deep holes in the stump and fill them with salt peter and diesel. When/if the level goes down, refil. Later when dry, set the stump on fire. The salt peter is an oxidizer and will burn the wood even if no air gets to the combustion. It is pretty awesome thte way the stump just keeps burning and burning till it is not much more than a hole in the ground shaped like a stump.

There are commercial sources for salt peter where it is labeled for stump treating. Try a good nursery or garden supply department at a big box store like Wally World or Lowe's. Less work, and fun to watch.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"