Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massacre!!!

Massacre!!!

Hello all, this is my first post to the group. Horrible things happened yesterday! When I went to lock up my flock (mixed breeds, 10 hens, 3 roos) last night, I found only 4 of the birds in the coop! After walking my property, I came across a small pile of feathers. This morning while roaming the surrounding woods, I came across more feathers from different birds in little piles , one dead but totally intact Brahma, and one buff orpington in little pieces (pretty much the only thing intact was the gizzard and one wing). One bird did return this morning, I assume in the panic, birds ran/flew in every direction trying to flee, so that leaves 8 birds missing/dead in this attack. This is the first predation we've had since getting these chickens (our first batch ever). Any idea what sort of predator might do this level of carnage? We were thinking either a pack of wild dogs, or coyotes. I've seen no evidence of either in the past, although we have only lived at this house for less than a year. What mystifies me is the one dead Brahma, which looked like its neck was broken, but there was no blood, and no signs of it actually being eaten. Also, the attacks likely happened during the day, since the chickens free range all over the property, and the attacks were in several locations. Very strange. Needless to say
    I'll spend a bit of time tonight zeroing in my scope...

I'd love to hear any input on probable predators that could carry out this level of destruction.

ayalowit

Christiansburg, VA
    www.deephallow.net

Re: Massacre!!!

I'd suggest dogs as you have stated. If it is dogs they will be back.

What type of neighbourhood do you live in? [ open, lots of trees, neighbours etc. ]

Egon

I live in a valley, that's about 30 acres, mainly wooded and very steep. I'm surrounded by about 500 acres of wooded and steep land, the nearest house is maybe 1/3 mile away. This is a fairly populated area, though, with this land being an oasis of sorts in a fast growing area. I have not heard any barking.

andrewy

It could be raccoons, dogs, cayotes, or foxes. More than likely it is dogs. My neighbors swear their dogs are sweet and wouldn't hurt anything, but when I catch one with a chicken in his mouth he just disappers. We also get a lot of dogs dropped off in the country when they are unwanted. Those dogs are always hungry. They come into my garage and tear open bags of feed to eat if they can't find anything else. They dissappear too.

Sounds more like an ambush attack from several different locations. If you were home I think you would have heard a dog attack as they have little fear of humans. 8 large hens missing would lead me to believe more than 1 animal. Small chicks 1 racoon can wipe them all out as I recently found out. I am of the opinion that more likely coyotes or perhaps a bobcat with young. IMO
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

I'd still go with the dog's as there did not seem to be any intent on killing to eat. The surrounding countryside would also nuture a pack of dogs. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I only ever found 2 bodies, one almost totally intact, one pretty much eaten. The only other things I found were piles of feathers scattered around the yard. I have not yet patrolled the surrounding woods to locate additional bodies, but I may tonight. I do think it was a multiple animal attack. There are 2 dobermans about 1.5 miles away through heavy forest, and they are not chained up. I've never seen them act aggressively in any way though, and 1.5 miles seems like a pretty hefty hike. I've never heard any dogs barking in the area, and pretty much the only wildlife I see/hear are turkeys, deer, and crows.

Andrewy

Govem today's litigious climate it is often better to NOT have too many friendly neighborly discussions aboiut KILLER DOGS. Owners are pretty much universally in denial and ignorant of the "bred for looks" wolves they have. If 6 mo or a year later their Fido is hit by a car or gets sick or just evaporates, you will the prime suspect! Unfortuinate but true.

All things considered it is way better for all roaming dogs, regardless of ownership, to just evaporate. Roaming dogs come in two varieties: 1. those that pack up and get into mischhief, and 2. those who are going to pack up and get into mischief.

Around these parts a fair percent of the land owners have a shoot on sight policy (high percentage of cattle producers and subject to uncompensated economic hardship from roaming dogs.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

My county has an ordinance that allows the shooting of any dog chasing or attacking livestock. There is also an ordinance that allows me to claim damages from the county to the tune of $10 per bird, if I can reasonable prove that a dog was the culprit. Unfortunately, in this case, I have no idea. Game cameras might be the way for some sort of record in the future, though.

Andrewy

Interesting... At $10 per bird I would think some folks would buy a quantity of cheap chickens, put a stray in with them, take pix, slaughter the fowl, take more pix, shoot the dog, take more pix and make a huge profit from the county.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"