Hello all, this is my first post to the group. Horrible things happened yesterday! When I went to lock up my flock (mixed breeds, 10 hens, 3 roos) last night, I found only 4 of the birds in the coop! After walking my property, I came across a small pile of feathers. This morning while roaming the surrounding woods, I came across more feathers from different birds in little piles , one dead but totally intact Brahma, and one buff orpington in little pieces (pretty much the only thing intact was the gizzard and one wing). One bird did return this morning, I assume in the panic, birds ran/flew in every direction trying to flee, so that leaves 8 birds missing/dead in this attack. This is the first predation we've had since getting these chickens (our first batch ever). Any idea what sort of predator might do this level of carnage? We were thinking either a pack of wild dogs, or coyotes. I've seen no evidence of either in the past, although we have only lived at this house for less than a year. What mystifies me is the one dead Brahma, which looked like its neck was broken, but there was no blood, and no signs of it actually being eaten. Also, the attacks likely happened during the day, since the chickens free range all over the property, and the attacks were in several locations. Very strange. Needless to say
I'll spend a bit of time tonight zeroing in my scope...

I'd love to hear any input on probable predators that could carry out this level of destruction.

ayalowit

Christiansburg, VA
www.deephallow.net