Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watermelon ripe? How do you tell?

Re: Watermelon ripe? How do you tell?

Great story Bird. Maybe I ran with a docile group but there was much more talk about stealing watermellons (especially by my parents and their peers) than we ever got involved in. Our big crime against the safety of the state was to ride on the front fender of a car down section lines at night and shoot jack rabbits. I learned this of course from my aunt the school teacher and my dad.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep, Pat, we do have much in common. I never stole any watermelons myself; however, I shot lots of rabbits, both jack rabbits and cottontails, from the fender of my '46 Chevy.

OK, tried the thump test..Watermelon was just a few days to early around the edges. But the heart was GREAT!!! Chilled overnight, DW got 1 piece, I got the rest, and the chickens got the rind. Can't wait to continue the test on that pretty striped one.

Statute of limitations has long ago covered any misdeeds that might be discussed here. I have no idea who even owned the Cushman. It was just a community vehicle that my dad and another guy kept running. Seems I remember just about all the kids used it for all sorts of things that would probably draw the attention of the local PD nowadays. Back then it was just "kid stuff". No blood, no foul.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired as shooting down or across a public road (section line or otherwise) with or without a vehicle involved was breaking the law. Lets see now... a crime that otherwise might be a minor offense (riding on the fender) is seriously compounded when a gun is used!

Well what the hey, our pictures probably didn't get displayed at the post office.

Last night I ate half of a small watermellon. It did pass the good ole thump test and was near perfect or a day past. The fella that gave it to me said they must be ripe as the coyote are going after them. Today I ate half a cantalope another friend gave me. I was conserned it might be a tad overdue as it was just about to split open, had lots of fragrence and yielded slightly to pressure with no green shoing at all. It was tasty but a tad hard. Should have sat on the window sill for a couple days but it ssure fooled me.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired as shooting down or across a public road (section line or otherwise) with or without a vehicle involved was breaking the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat, when I was 18, we hunted rabbits at night in comfort on some country dirt roads, either from my '56 Mercury convertible or from my buddy's '52 Pontiac convertible; one driving, the other standing up in front of the passenger seat. And we once paid fines of $28.50 each when someone reported our license plate number. Of course that was paid to a Justice of the Peace; $5 fine, $5 constable fee (for serving a warrant), and $18.50 court costs.

Of course when I applied to the police department, I reported that on the application. I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that there was no record of that "arrest" and fine, and the old JP couldn't remember anything like that happening. There was also no record of a speeding ticket that I paid to that same JP. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Bird, Ahh, luxury! Hunting from an open top SAFARIMOBILE. The closest I came to that was when a farmer took me and a couple buddies out in his pickup into the alfalfa fields at night. We stood in back and leaned over the roof of the cab to shoot. He drove and one guy riding shotgun (in passenger seat) manipulated the police style spotlight. We harvested enough jacks to supply all sections of the general science and bilogy classes of our school with dissection specimens (not for the whole class but one for the teacher in all class sections.)

In later years I determined that you could make fairly decent chilli from a jack, especially if it wasn't too old. Mostly it was the novelty not the neccessity. I used prickly pears in that recipe too. Jack Rabbit Cactus Chilli, that brings back memories of gustatory surprise registering on the faces of guests. Burn the cactus pretty good to get rid of the thorns and loosen the skin. Peel them and dice them and add to chilli makins. They are pretty mild, some say bland, but they provide some extra body, a little thickening action I think. OF course, I'm the kinda guy who can put sliced okra in chilli. Chilli filet gumbo!

I'll let you slide on chilli:

chil·i also chil·e or chil·li

But not on watermellon:

wa·ter·mel·on

Lazy, Eva body sez Wah-melon so it don't give good clues to spellin. Chili is a lot like chilli, hardly notice the diff.

A few minutes ago my wah-melon source came by to borrow a T post and was sent away with two stays because I was out of posts and sucker rod. He gave me two more wah-melons, UMMMM UMMM.

Breakfast a Go-Go

Ingredients
    1/3 cup low fat granola
    ¾ cup de-seeded watermelon chunks
    5 ounces low fat banana (or other substitute) yogurt

Instructions
    In a large, cylindrical glass, 'to go cup' container or plastic glass, create the following parfait:
    Bottom layer: Low fat Granola
    Next Layer: Small chunks of seeded watermelon
    Next Layer: Banana Yogurt
    Next Layer: Low fat Granola
    Next Layer: Small chunks of seeded watermelon
    Top Layer: Banana Yogurt

Garnish:
    A slice of banana, toasted almonds or coconut, a wedge of watermelon, a strawberry or an orange wheel

Servings: Serves 1.

If you want you can leave the seeds in if you are where it is socially acceptable to spit seeds!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat, it wasn't really necessity, but when we went after rabbits, it was to eat. And we didn't care whether it was cottontails, jack rabbits, or swamp rabbits. They're all good. I don't recall us ever using them for chili, but we fried young ones and cooked the older ones in the pressure cooker; rabbit stew, rabbit and dumplings, etc. Older jack rabbits were cooked in the pressure cooker, then the meat was removed from the bones and ground in the old hand cranked meat grinder. The ground meat was sometimes added to milk gravy and served over biscuits, sometimes made into sandwich meat (same recipe as chicken salad only with jack rabbit instead of chicken). I could never understand people who ate cottontails, but turned up their noses at jack rabbits. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

But my paternal grandmother wanted nothing to do with any rabbit, actually, but especially jack rabbits. She said the first year they were married, they had very little money and my granddad hunted jack rabbits and she canned the meat; especially making canned sausage from the jack rabbits. She said they ate enough jack rabbit that first year or two that she didn't want any more. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]