Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artesian well pump: above ground or immersed?

Re: Artesian well pump: above ground or immersed?

The drop pipe is the pipe the pump is hung on down the well; that assumes a submersible pump. The power cable is taped or otherwise attached to the drop pipe. Without a drop pipe, there's no way to 'support' a submersible pump in a well. You will need a drop pipe even if the well overflows 24 hrs/per day (a true artesian well [IMO]).

Submersible pumps have a check valve in or on the outlet; so there is no "foot valve".

I forgot about the problem Bob mentions of submersible pumps in 4" PVC casing but I do not like steel casing but that's based on 'potable' water quality issues.

Gary Slusser
    Quality Water Associates

Thank you for kindly explaining thigs to me. I have already talked to Bobby @pumpsand tanks.com. He explained to me how irrigation (low pressure high volume) and household do not mix well. Finally, it got to me.

You need to use an irrigation controller that has an option for a pump relay. You want the pump to stay on while irrigating. It is bad for the pump to cycle on/off too much. Most irrigation manufacturers make setups for this.