Thread: Cement First?

Hybrid View

Re: Cement First?

The advantage to a pole barn is that you save a ton of money by not needing a concrete foundation. The poles being in the ground gives you the structural integrity to keep your barn in place. This is the economical way to build a barn. Not the best way.

The best way is to pour a proper foundation and build up from the footings.

Most guys do the poles barn method first because that's what they can afford. You can build a bigger building for less money without a foundation. Then later down the road, you can always add a cement slab inside the barn to have a solid, smooth surface to work on.

If you can aford concrete from the beginning, than you really shouldn't even consider a pole barn. Steel is much stronger and allot better. You can also build with wood framing, but it's tougher to get the same height and span with wood as easily and cheaply as you can with steel.

If your set on a pole barn, then you need to get your posts in the ground first. Then frame up your building and get the roof on. You can pour concrete at any time after this.

Eddie

Re: Cement First?

I thought about doing my slab first because of elevation issues, but I didn't think about steel.

Do you know what the price difference would be ?
    I know steel prices have gone through the roof the past year, I just wonder if it would be a wash either way or if it would actually be better ????