Thread: Cement First?

Cement First?

I am doing the research for having my first pole barn built. In doing the research I noticed that in most cases the building is built and after it is finished the concrete floor is installed. I would think it would be easier for the cement contractor if the floor was done first. Why is this not done? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    "There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking."

Re: Cement First?

I would think because the poles are inside the structure and go down below the level of the concrete, you would have to at least put the poles up, then pour the floor, then put the building up. Not to mention any plumbing or electrical you want to put in once the building is up would have to be put in before the concrete is in place....

I doubt having to pour inside the building is much of a bother for most concrete folks as long as they can get a concrete truck to the door.

If I were finishing the floor I know I would rather do it in the shade of the roof rather than in the hot summer sun. Similarly if there were to be a shower, the work would not be as exposed.

You don't want the concrete to get too hot and dry which is easy to have happen in the summer in the sun. I have spent hours standing with a hose trying to keep slabs from over heating. Shade would have been a welcome thing.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Guys!! Both comments make sense. Sometimes I just get silly questions like this in my head and I can not rest until I get an answer. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    "There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking."

The advantage to a pole barn is that you save a ton of money by not needing a concrete foundation. The poles being in the ground gives you the structural integrity to keep your barn in place. This is the economical way to build a barn. Not the best way.

The best way is to pour a proper foundation and build up from the footings.

Most guys do the poles barn method first because that's what they can afford. You can build a bigger building for less money without a foundation. Then later down the road, you can always add a cement slab inside the barn to have a solid, smooth surface to work on.

If you can aford concrete from the beginning, than you really shouldn't even consider a pole barn. Steel is much stronger and allot better. You can also build with wood framing, but it's tougher to get the same height and span with wood as easily and cheaply as you can with steel.

If your set on a pole barn, then you need to get your posts in the ground first. Then frame up your building and get the roof on. You can pour concrete at any time after this.

Eddie

I thought about doing my slab first because of elevation issues, but I didn't think about steel.

Do you know what the price difference would be ?
    I know steel prices have gone through the roof the past year, I just wonder if it would be a wash either way or if it would actually be better ????