Thread: What's eating my pumpkins?!

What\'s eating my pumpkins?!

Does anyone know what kind of critter eats pumpkins? I have a small 50' x 50' patch and something is gnawing at the fruit and pretty much destroying them. I have a lot of rabbits around but I didn't think they would eat pumpkins. I have recently seen a ground hog hanging around my shed......I'm thinking he may be the culprit but I'm not sure. Any input is greately appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: What\'s eating my pumpkins?!

Got any pictures of the gnawed area?
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Adron,
    I don't have any pictures and I smashed the damaged fruits before I put them in my compost pile. If (when) I get more nibbles I'll snap some pictures and post them.

Adron,
    Had another gnawling this morning. another pumpkin bites the dust. As requested I have attached a picture of the victim.

That looks to big for rabbits, do you have many deer in the area? A friend of mine sugars and raises pumpkins in the "off" season. He has to fence his pumpkin patch to keep out the deer. He got me started with pumpkins last year. I had some small nibble marks on a few of them. Think it was mice because they were nothing like yours and could still use them for pies.

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

Is it possible to see tracks left by the pumpkin eater?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think I found my pumpkin eater. While searching for tracks, as Egon suggested, I came across two ground hog holes in the patch. I also found some of my water melons eaten as well.

Greg, I do have a lot of deer in the area but I don't see any tell tale signs of them being in the patch. Although I'm not counting them out.

I think I'm going to go ground hog hunting tomorrow. I'm not sure how many there are but I will monitor the situation and keep everyone posted. Thanks for the replies.

Jeff