Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding

Welding

Just some information on the effects welding fumes may have.

web page

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Welding

Egon, Thank you for posting that link. I read some of the first few incidents and comments and learned something valuable from each. I guess I am an accident waiting to happen as I have never had schooling on any shop stuff at all and have proceeded on brute force and awkwardness and once in a while being lucky enough to see some one else work so I could see how they do things.

Man, I need to be more careful AND read more about how to do stuff. Maybe I need to make haste a bit more slowly and carefully.

Thanks again for the informative link!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Aren't welding fumes rendered harmless by RED MAN chewing tobacco? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Weld, weld, weld,....SPIT.....weld, weld, weld,....SPIT! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] There MUST be some connection, since the OIL PATCH welders usually chew RED MAN. I figured it was for medicinal purposes. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, Welding fumes in sufficient quantity lower your IQ. If lowered sufficiently it can induce RED MAN consumption. Over time additional fumes can reduce you to Day's Work and after that you run the danger of becoming a CBer. 10-4? Good buddy.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Some of the welders I was in contact with smoked but very few ever chewed.

They were basically a very hard working group and quite fussy about their work. Many had trucks that were almost show units. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, So these were or were not the guys who weld other guys trucks together while the drivers are in the bar?

Those fellows were "Pipeliners" comming out after a long stint in the Northwoods. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Your welding safety post was very good, so far as it went. It piqued my curiosity as regards plasma cutting indoors. What air quality issues, if any, are associated with plasma cutting (using compressed air not bottled gasses.) Simple searches for info left me coming up empty handed.

After getting really bummed out trying to split 16 inch diameter pipes to fab feeder troughs and getting such slow results that I shut down the plasma and used O-A, I called the vendor and returned the plasma cutter and paid a 5% restocking charge and the dif to move up one notch from the 27 amp machine to a 40 amp machine. (Yes, that was one sentance!) Amperage is variable so you can turn it down if you don't want so much power (and increase your duty cycle.) I think Hypertherm is a good maker of plasma cutters, I just bought a little less than I should have on the first try. It isn't an issue of how thick will it cut so much as inches per minute since I get impatient.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat,.....I'm searching my memory to find even ONE instance where someone has made the statement: "I WISH I had bought a smaller welder (or smaller ***) with LESS capacity and FEWER features!" I just can't seem to find one, Pat......funny how that works. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I've never heard of a headstone with the inscription "I wish I'd Spent More Time At Work" either. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?