Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Closer Cougar Confirmation

Re: Closer Cougar Confirmation

Wait till the cats and dogs start dissapearing or even worse a small child has an encounter. Then perhaps things will change.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I used to handload some shot shells for the .357 maggie. I put in some red dot (If I recall correctly) then a .30 cal gas check (like a wad) then dip the case in # 7 1/2 or #6 shot to fill it up and set another gas check on top. First gas check goes in concave up toward the outside away from primer. Second gas check goes concave down. Crimp very lightly.

Fired from a few feet away it patterns pretty well and the dang gas checks can penetrate a 3/4 inch board depending on how they hit, flat or edge on (the gas checks fly at random and not accurate very far away.)

These would either blind or discourage a puma very much and not require great marksmanship. You can be the best target shooter in the world and not hit a moving target in a tense situation. I used to load the first two cylinders with these and then my regular "war shots." They do snakes too. Regular store bought pistol sized shot shells are a bit fine in the shot size, doesn't carry but a few feet with any punch.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

To close for comfort. I know what you mean about not having all the time in the world to get a good rest, but we won't go there becuz it has something to do with the three S's. My granfather and I did alot of loading when I was very young, bout 38 years ago. And he used some heavy shot, I don't remember just what all that he did, but he always said, one could shoot something in the dark with it and it would still be there in the morning. So I am sure it had a good belt to it. We have alot of timber rattlers here, and they don't get as big as the dimondbacks, but we have killed a few that were over 6 ft. Where I live we have plenty to go around, one year I killed 76 right around the yard, 4 of them in the house. I learned not to leave the door open. As far as cougars go we have way to many here now, I hate to say this, but I think it will take a couple of pole pushers getting killed or malled real bad before things will get back to normal with the cougar situation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and spandex looks a lot like a retarded mouse.,,,,,,,

I don't have anything againest cross country skiing, I have done it myself,but back then, we didn't have all them groomed trails, we skied to check trap lines or hunt coyotes, or just to get to where we were going. And we never worried about cats, but now, can you imagine trying to out run a cat in skies?

In California they outlawed hunting cougars, and now they are getting to have to many cats also. You hear about it quite often, some one gets scratched up, and than some. The last year that we could hunt cougar here with dogs was 8 or 9 years or so. I had a cougar kill a big 4 point buck in my back yard, so I called a friend of mine who had hound dogs, we ran 6 cats that day in an area of 60 acres, most of it strait up an down. We shot one. I have had cats stay in my out buildings in the winter time. One time I had 4 mules in a corral, a corgar jumped on the back of the bigest one, and raked him from the withers clear down his hine quarters, never even cut the skin but you could see the claw marks real well. The next night the dogs were raiseing cane so I went down to the corrals and there was a cat, and he circled most of the night making that sound they make, that was back in 01. So the point here is,, you will not be seeing me in spandex or pushing any poles on them long boards,,,,,,,,,Blackfoot

One of the guys who worked were my wife and I worked had a multi-hour standoff with a cougar. Every time he tried to get on his mountain bike the cougar took renewed interest and he'd have to dismount to hold the bike between him and the cat. Eventually the cat gave up and wandered off. The guy probably set a new land speed record coming down out off the mountain on a fire break road.

One of our favorite hiking trails out west was the site of a lady jogger getting eaten. I've no interest in hiking there again as it is in the People's Republic of California where carrying a gun for self protection is not allowed for regular citizens.

My wife carries a .357 maggie in her pocket when she goes out in the back yard by herself to fill the bird feeders. She has filmed juvenile cougars in the back yard and an adult crossing the pond dam in the back yard.

We have no particular personal interest in hunting cats but if the cat hunts us or comes in our space when we have the means at hand to cancel its ticket, then bye bye cat. Same story with venomous reptiles. We don't go hunting them but if the snake and I happen to be at the same place at the same time then bye bye snake. Non venomous varieties are not harmed.

Pat

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"