Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simer water pressure booster pump

Re: Simer water pressure booster pump

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Good hydraulic system design usually dictates that in-line booster pumps be single (or even two-stage) centrifugals, not jet pumps. It just isn't the right application for a jet. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I think they have one part time guy who was sent to some courses after he screwed up and the quality of the water got them busted by an oversight agency that had them send out notices about the the gastric distress and its symptoms that we might have experienced. This has happened at least twice in 4 years.

This is the group of self styled geniuses that let a contract without proper clauses to get warranty work. There were massive leaks that went undetected due to IGNORANCE and HUGE water bills were/are owed by the rural water district to the water supplier. By any reasonable accounting method they are bankrupt.

A local Indian tribe, the Citizen Pottawatomie, who participated in the financing (and had their chairman there to give a traditional blessing at the celebration of the groundbreaking) were rumored to be taking over the rural water district operations which would be good news as we could get improved management. Unfortunatley many months have passed and it has not happened. (They have an elected chairman not a hereditary chief.)

It is true that it is often easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission so since there is absolutely nothing to be gained by telling the water district about a booster pump, I would never do that. Similarly, what they don't know about any booster pump won't hurt me. There is no prohibition against them, the "CONTRACT" is silent on the issue of booster pumps.

If I were willilng to settle for 30 psi (not real attractive) the booster wouldn't have to run very much or very often. I wish I had a pressure transducer in the 10-50 psi range, I could womp up some signal conditioning and graph the pressure variations with time with an old Rustrak chart recorder I have. It takes a data point once a minute. That would be instructive.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

Charting pressure would verify what you already know and basically be a waste of time. But if you do it hook up into your computer and make an interesting project of it by adding household flow rates.

Question: After your coments on the water supply management how is the water quality tested and controlled. This may be a bigger issue than the pressure. [ Look up Walkertown, ontario ] on google for reasurance.

Now for the low pressure:
    Install a small jet pump with the jet removed [check valve before pump] as the suction is flooded and pipe it to a pressure tank of 80 or so gallons. Set the pressure switch to your liking and go shower. The pumps are inexpensive and easily obtainable. If failure occurs a bypass will keep you in water till a replacement is found. Also add a flow indicator shutdown to the pump in case your pumping capacity exceeds the supply rate.

Or you could really complicate things! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Centrifugals work good for large water flows, but the jet is better suited for Pat's needs.

Removing the jet from a then centrifugal pump can overload the motor if too much water is pumped. The jet prevents this condition and adds to the pressure capability of the pump.

bob...

Egon, I know that my pressure varies but I don't have a clue as to how much time it is low compared to medium or high or when it is low (if I am not in the shower) as the appliances don't complain. Maybe I am gearing up to fix something because I am aware it isn't perfect when it isn't substandard enough of the time or severe enough to be a realistic concern.

We have been long time users of RO filtration, since it was first widely available for under counter installation. Still, we remain concerned with the quality of our rural water. We may need to consider alternative or supplemental treatment to have confidence in our water.

Water is taken for granted in so much of the US that folks are in for a rude surprise fairly soon when there just isn't enough to go around. In San Diego, water users were encouraged to save, save, save water and it worked, developers were able to show that there was adequate water to supply thousands of more homes. The reward for water conservation was many thousands of more water consumers raising thousands of more water consumers.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat, how large a tank (drawdown gallon wise) are you planning?

What psi will you set the captive air pressure to?

Gary Slusser
    Quality Water Associates

Gary, I had not decided for sure yet and am open to suggestions regarding tank size and pressure. I had been thinking that I would get somewhere in the range of 30 gal or so and follow the included instructions regarding the air pressure which if memory serves is 2-3 psi below the pressure switch setting with no water pressure (pump off and system bled.

For whatever reason I am not noticing as many low pressure episodes as I had previously, none recently. I'll check with the rural water district and see if they have made any changes or if they have an explanation. If they "fixed" the problem then I can skip the upgrade. If not then I lean toward the tank and booster pump.

One other thing about not using a centrifugal, they are not used (not supposed to be used) with a pressure switch like a jet pump is, so if your going with the tank, that is one more reason to stay with the jet.

bob...

Speed, The finer points, such as centrifugal vs jet, are outside of my experience.

Maybe I am oversimplifying but a shallow well pump (not submerged type) seems to be a good solution with a tank and pressure switch. In normal use the well pump has to work against a negative pressure on the suction side and pressurize the tank to say 50 psi. So even if while running the pump the supply line pressure drops to near zero (and I don't think it will) that shouldn't be a problem for the pump.

Funny thing but now that I have asked for and received considerable help and opinion on my pressure problem which has been in existance from day one...it seems to have basically gone away. I still need to check with the "water works" to see if they made some change which would account for the better pressures. If so, then I learned a little but don't need to apply it (this time.)

Dagnabbed Pat! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Here we's was just about to come up with the perfect design to maintain constant water pressure and the problems dissapear. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Now what was really indicated was a pressure tank of at least 80/100 gallons with constant pressure maintained by air. A level controlled pump with full opening bypass and a floor pressure sensor in the shower. Also a flowmeter on the pressure tank outlet and another at the municipal header.

The floor sensor would start the pump on full bypass to eliminate water hammer, the bypass would regulate the water level by level switch and usage of a program that would make use of outlet flow and the inlet flow for lag/lead times to minimize level fluctuations. The air supply would keep the pressure at a constant level. It would also make use of the outlet flow meter in its control system to make allowances and adjust for the water volume of the tank.

Hey, I even know of some fellows who could program it for you and have the water temp ready and controlled also.

It would make for a great project. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon