Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mulching Raspberries

Mulching Raspberries

Does anyone know if Raspberrie canes will push through a woodchip mulch?

Re: Mulching Raspberries

Raspberry canes will push through nearly anything softer than concrete. Seriously, if the mulch is relatively course or at least not packed down, the canes should not be unduly delayed making it through.

I have considerable experience with wild blackberies should you be interested.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I use woodchip mulch for my blackberries. No problem

The only problem might be the nitrogen. Woodchips consume all of the nitrogen as they break down. You might want to throw down some bone meal to keep things even.

I am a beginner with raspberries. I have a really helpful book, but I still have a couple of questions. This looks like a knowledgeable group of folks.

First, I have Tayberries, which are a cross between blackberries and raspberries. Do I prune them like a black berry or a raspberry?

Also, I have mulched them with straw that has some chicken manure in it. Thinking that the manure will rot down through the straw before it can burn the berry roots. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Seaphish

Are the canes supine or erect? Whichever parent they resemble is what I'd try for a pruning model. With blackberries you'd want to remove all canes that are going to be 4 years old as they are non producing and in the way. Other than that I don't know much about blackberries excep[t picking and eating.

In the last few days I brush hogged oodles of excess wild blackberries, I have reserves far beyond what I would ever pick.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have quite a bit of experience with raspberries. I have never used chemical fertilizers. I mulched with the old straw I'd remove from my chicken house. The chicken manure was enough to offset the nitrogen consumption of the decaying straw, and the primocanes (first year canes that will fruit the next year) would be 6-7 feet tall and up to an inch and a half thick by fall, and the following year the canes would be THICK with fruit.

Kellenw,

What variety did you plant? I'm probably going to add raspberries to my fruit mix this year or next. I may have to put them into the same fenced area I'm going to use for my blueberries because I bet the deer will nip them otherwise. The tame, thornless blackberries I have planted suffer from deer damage.

Chuck

In my opinion raspberries are just about the easiest fruit to grow of anything.

Lathams are my favorite and by far what I plant most. I also really like Boyne. For a fall bearing plant, Caroline is fantastic. It's an improved variety based on Heritage. If you plant all three of these varieties, you will have many months of berries. Latham is a midseason, boyne an early season and Caroline a fall bearer.

With fall bearers, the nice thing is that you can just mow them down every year rather than have to selectively prune as you have to do with summer bearing varieties.

If choosing just one cultivar though, I'd choose Latham.

I am new to Raspberries als am putting in a small patch I have access to pine bark mulch is that a good mulch to use? I get all I want for free.