Thread: Canning Tomatos

Canning Tomatos

I got a good deal on about 1/2 bushel of Roma Tomatoes. I have already made and caned some salsa, but now I want to do some spaghetti/pizza sauce. I don’t actually know how to “sauce” a tomato. These Roma’s have a very firm flesh and are low on liquid when you cut them open.

Re: Canning Tomatos

Tomatoe's with lots of flesh are the most desirable for making sauces.

Best go looking for a site on canning.

Removal of the skin is recommended.

I have made some and frozen it. I just put the tomatoes in a blender and chopped them up skin and all.

You can make a basic sauce and then add the olive oil, garlic,peppers and herbs and more garlic when the sauce is prepared for consumption at the table. And; oh, don't stint on the garlic or the hot peppers.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bring a pot of water to a roling boil and add a few tomatos at a time long enough to blanch the skin. Remove and imerse in cold water. The skins will peel of quite easily now. You can cook and mash them or puree in a blender and then cook. They are cooked on low heat so as to not scorch but long enough to recuce to the thickness desired. Depends on whether you want sauce or paste.

Watery tomatos can be used but take a while to thicken enough. Fleshy tomatos will get you there quicker.

For fine details, trust to Google...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,homemade_tomato_sauce,FF.html

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

A crock pot is a handy thing to thicken tomato sauce in. Also will do paste. Keep it on low, and check every so often for a "pool" of thin liquid on top, and spoon that out. WIll also work for cooking down apple and peach butters. Chris

My wife and I just made up 6 bushels of tomato sauce for spaghetti. We cooked down tomatos, onions, garlic, celery, peppers, and carrots and bay leaf, salt, pepper and italian seasoning, cooked for hours and hours, then cooled, put in plastic bags and frozen. It is way easier than canning.

No Basil??? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Yes actually, basil is part of the italian seasoning. If I had any fresh, I would have thrown it in. Italian seasoning has basil, rosmary, thyme, savory, sage and oregano. And since you made me think about it, I put in a healthy splashes of worcestershire sauce as well.

Ahhh - I can already taste it! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Enjoy [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]