Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK!!!! That DOES IT!!!

Re: OK!!!! That DOES IT!!!

That's a good way to deal with phone solicitors. (But I suspect Egon gives them @x7!^.)

Right Egon, Don't answer the phone so the once in a while call you don't want won't bug you. Then your wife and her friends will rebel and you will be lucky if they only burn you in effigy.

Here is a link to one version of Eliza...

http://www-ai.ijs.si/eliza-cgi-bin/eliza_script
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sorry Jass Dad. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Its " Not interested " and when the sales pitch tries to resume it's " Not interested " and they hang up. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Heck; they are only trying to make a living.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I had a gal call me a few years back about a Master Card or something. I listened a minute and said "You're at work, right?" She said yes. I then said "Well, I'm at home, so why don't you give me your home number and tomorrow when i'm at work I'll give you a call and we can talk about it?"

Hello? Hello?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I'm going to bring this thread back around to where it started: Pat's by and large monopolization of this website. So, I propose a contest. Let's come up with a hobby for Pat. For the last few years it was building his house. Now??? I suggest Pat gets into building ships in bottles. No, knowing Pat they would be full-scale models in ridiculously large glass containers. OK CBNers, what is your offer to keep Pat busy these days?

I would think he should be giving internet tutoring to individuals in need of tutoring. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry Jazz, Sloppy restatement. Read Dave's post again. The main thrust of it is my AUTOMATED response system.

Egon, Can you handle my rates?

Pat

Most would say I'm a little too challenged to even bother with remedial action.

Not kowing your rate system that question is rather moot and beleive me I'm in the category where I do have to ask what it costs! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But in all seriousness would it not be possible to set up a computer based voice assited tutoring system? Screen and voice at the same time.

Egon, I'm not sure if you want the computer to talk to you or if you want a remote mentor to talk to you while you are on your computer. Both are possible, and not so hard with Windows OS.

For the sake of this discussion I will take the second premise as your intent. There are See U See Me systems with innexpensive CDD video cameras and audio. When two users connect in cyberspace they get to see each other and talk to each other. Some of the systems let you see each other but converse by typing messages. Anyway with a windowing system like the MS Windows OS you can have that communicatiions applicatioin running in one window and another application of interest in another window, say MS Excel spreadsheet for example. YOu are trying to do something in the spreadsheet and can communicate about it with the remote mentor.

BUT WAIT!!! THERE IS MORE!!! MS WIndoze (I'm not a big fan of Gates) can allow you to let a remote mentor operate your computer from their remote location. YOu have to "GIVE PERMISSION" to allow the session. There is a protocol where you send a request from your computer to the remote mentor and then if they are available they can "do a Vulcan mind meld" (you are a Treckie arent you?) with your computer. This is a great way for a mentor to help someone run a program without having to be at the same physical location. I'm not sure which version of Windows was first to incorporate this feature or if it will work if both mentor and student don't have the same version (at least major release if not x.y.z.

I am aware of this feature but have not personally used it.

I am running MS Windows XP Pro 5.1 Service pack 2, a relatively current version of XP as I have enabled the automated update via the web feature. IF you are running a version that predates or otherwise does not include that feature it might be worth your while considering the upgrade since it opens up the mentoring opportunity.

I'm sure you recall the extremely high price you requested from us for the artifact you shipped. Well, I'm afraid I'd have to get at least that much per hour or portion thereof for a mentoring service. The good news is that you could get mentoring from any of your computerized friends who have the requisite operating system.

There are VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) systems, some of which are share ware or freeware. These allow you to talk over the computer to a remote computer user with no long distance charges as the phone companies are not involved. You need innexpensive hardware GOtta have spoeaker and microphone like a telephone to talk and listen, of course. The quality is a tad variable and rough at times but it is "free." You can then at least talk to someone and use your computer at the same time even if you only have one phone line available at your location.

I had two lines, one for talking and one for computer dial up connection but dropped the second line after I got DSL as it allows a high speed broadband computer connection and voice over the same phone line with no interferrence.

With VOIP, both users have to run the VOIP software. SKYPE is a popular one. For a small fee you can make calls to folks who don't have computers. You still talk via your computer and the signal is converted to a regular phone signal near the location of the person you call and goes to them from that point as a regular phone call. You have to pay any toll or access charges plus a fee to the provider of the VOIP service. It can still be significantly cheaper than regular long distance.

So Egon, there you have it, several ways to be able to be "on the net" with your computer and talk to someone at the same time.

I think this technology is important to but underutilized by rural folks (and others.)

It is yet another chunk of technology to have to learn to use but it isn't all that tough. None of the above is FOR GEEKS ONLY and can be used by most school kids from later grade school on and has been.

I'm not claiming to be expert on these topics as this is one of the areas of knowlege where my breadth way exceeds my depth. We probably have folks lurking here who know more by accident on these topics than I will know on purpose. I'm just pointing out some of the directions someone could go to use only one phone line and be able to use the computer on the net at the same time as talking on the phone (via computer.)

I would attempt to answer any questions on these topics but issue this caveat in advance, it is likely my answer may have to be, "I don't know."

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I must appologise for my lack of communication clarity Pat. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Does that mean you are too busy to set up a remote mentoring for advanced students? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I do beleive I was thinking of people at each end of the computer with a system that would allow voice as well as key board communication. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It could also work as a group class with all being at different locations. Perhaps the University of the future. There just have to be some such systems already in operation.