Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elec fence vs. Goats

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Elec fence vs. Goats

Pat, I don't sell any kids until they've been weaned, and most goat breeders are the same. As far as castration, that's usually the buyer's task. Shots for kids are CDT and rabies. They should also have BOSE shots, which isn't a vacination, but is boron and selenium. The hardiest breed is probably the Boer goats, and they're probably less pciky about what they eat. I think that Pygmy goats, although small are very hardy, and less selective about their browsing.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Thanks, Rich. I have seen Boers but the "cute factor" of the pygmy will influence my wife so reason may not prevail. Or I guess it will. Her reason will be because they are cute.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Update....

After further testing I found that when a load was placed on the charger it deteriorated terrible and at times I was lucky to get 2K volts at the far end of the fence. I hooked into it with a good 110v fence charger and got 6.9 to 7.3 Kv all around the fence. indicating a good fence.

Returned the charger to where I purchased it. They said that this problem shows up in maybe 1 in 25 or 30 of the chargers. They gave me full credit on a new top of the line solar charger from a manufacturer I am familiar with. Including a full 2 year warranty, including lightening coverage. Pings 7.1 - 7.3 volts every time. So far I am quite satisfied.

All the goats are staying in except 1 who panicked when she saw my Great Pyrenes stand up and hit the fence at at least 30mph. But that is different story for another time.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

A wise man told me two things about fencing goats, 1) if you can throw water through the fence, a goat can get through it and 2) you're better off putting the goats on the outside of the fence and letting them break "in" rather than "out". [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"