Thread: Steam Pressure Canning

Steam Pressure Canning

I read of a 18-20 pint jar capacity for a 20-22 quart canner. How do you get that many in, they must be stacked in two layers. I would think you would need something between the two.

Re: Steam Pressure Canning

Most canners have inside fitting racks.

Just a word of caution. Canning not done properly can give you a serious case of botualism. The higher PH items canned are more suseptabile.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I used to be a lot more interested in canning but have substituted freezing as a safer simpler proceedure for us. It doesn't work for everything but oh well we do what we can. I know for survivalist type reasons canning is attractive since it is non electric utillity dependent after the canning is completed. Dehydration is a viable alternative for non electric storage too.

I guess maybe I just don't have enough confidence that we would always get it right and it just takes once to be dead. There are antidotes that are effective if you are diagnosed promptly and they are administered in time.

Bacteria that cause botulism exist in dirt and dust as a spore which is inactive and does not produce toxin. They are anaerobic. When a spore is moved into a low-oxygen environment such as an enclosed jar or can, it can reproduce and make its toxin.

Home-canned vegetables that are not highly acidic (asparagus, green beans, peppers, beets, corn etc.) are good incubators for botulism bacteria unless they are heat-treated appropriately to kill the spores during the canning process and eaten shortly after opening. The bacteria can release large quantities of toxin into the canned food jar, causing botulism symptoms in people who just sample the produce. Home-canned or smoked fish is also a risk.

Young babies have a different intestinal system than adults. Spores swallowed by an adult usually will remain in their hibernating, inactive state but when ingested by a baby can reproduce and can form toxin that is absorbed into the bloodstream, causing botulism.

Raw honey can get babies infected with botulism. Botulism spores are found in corn syrup too.

Not to put anyone off of canning but there are significant risks and so you do have to pay attention and not take shortcuts. Done right, home canned food can be safe.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I am a bit confused by the term "Steam Pressure." I have a pressure canner. The lid fits tightly, and it needs to be vented before putting on the pressure gauge. It will hold two layers of pint jars, and came with two racks: One to place under the bottom row of jars to keep them off the bottom of the canner, and one to place over the bottom row to set the next row on. I pressure can green beans and tomatoes. I am not very confident of the acid levels in the newer tomatoes, that is why they go in a pressure canner.

A steam canner is advertised as an alternate to water bath canning. It does not have a tight fitting lid, and operates in a manner similar to steaming veggies - just letting the heat of the steam seal the jars. USDA does not recommend the steam canners, saying that they do not get the jar contents hot enough to ensure a good seal and killed spores.

I have been putting food by for many years and not had problems. Chris

Chris, Folks like you who DO IT RIGHT aren't the ones getting botulism. Folks who take unwarranted unsafe shortcuts like the "STEAM CANNING" or whatever the latest new age fad is are more likely candidates. Personal motivation and self discipline to do it right, really sterilize containers, wait the full time, and not get sloppy or lazy make it work. Lots of folks just don't want to be that regimented, like man, what difference could a couple minutes make, I gotta turn on the TV, my fav guru is coming on...

There is a big difference in doing it right and going through the motions. My mom canned and when we had a freezer put away a lot of frozen stuff. My wife and I aren't willing to take the time and effort to do it right and so we exercise the common sense to not take risky shortcuts and lean toward freezing. Of course, jellies and jams and pickels are a slam dunk. We don't do vegies and meat, instead rely on the freezer. Our loss as we miss some opportunities.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I am talking about pressure canning, the geek in me knows the pressure comes from steam, so I guess that is why I listed it that way

Got a pressure canner and can things like meats,veggies,and even fish. It's alot safer using a pressure canner. The temps. are alot higher. Make sure that you clean,clean,clean. The web has a lot of useful info. Good luck.