Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying hens

Laying hens

I bought some chicks before Easter and I have three that have been laying eggs and two that don't . Is this normal or is there something I need to do to make them start laying. Jerry

Re: Laying hens

Are the two roosters? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

No they are all hens.

It can take some hens 26-28 weeks before they start laying.

Joe

If they aren't laying by 8 months, replace them and have them for Sunday dinner.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks JoeR and Pat. Ok I have another question, I don't have a rooster would that help out the ones that aren't laying or does it make no difference. Jerry

Depends on if you are selling the eggs to health food types or not. The hens lay just fine without roosters. Egg ranches usually have no roosters. Some Health Food adherents claim that fertilized eggs are more natural and more healthy. I prefer eggs NOT from caged hens in laying factories. I prefer eggs from chickens that get to eat bugs and grass. The yolks are so pretty golden and rich looking.

You can always try soaking their feet in warm epson salts solution and massaging their feet and letting them watch reruns of "All in the Family" as that will have the same effect as having roosters in with them.

They will lay or not. If not, chicken on the menu the first Sunday after the previously posted "deadline."

Pat

Sorry Pat, but Archie Bunker doesn't do anything for my hens. My hens prefer to watch the Barnyard movie. It keeps them cackling when they see a bull with utters. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Joe

Joe, You're telling me they put a bull with udders in a kiddie cartoon/movie. I haven't been pleased with the entertainment industry over values they instill in children and how they prortray/promote certain lifestyles B U T......

Now we have the equivalent of an, at best, CROSS DRESSING bovine.

Oh well, maybe it won't have a negative impact on your egg production (any worse than you have already.)

Hang in their buddy, one day well look baqck and THESE will be the good ole days!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again, I better find someone who would take them and clean and eat them. My wife and kids would never let that happen here. Jerry
    Maybe I should have a talk with the hens and explain the situation if they don't start laying....