Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying hens

Re: Laying hens

I have a sign up in my coop. It reads: lay lots of eggs or (and here is a picture of a roasted chicken laying in a bed of lettuce). There are those who say chickens can't read, but ours seemed to have taken the admonition to heart.

JazzDad - Thanks for freshening up a memory of my dad! Many, may years ago, my dad and uncle had a contest as to whose peas would be ready to eat first. My dad was losing so he went out and spoke to the peas..."If you dadburn, blankey-blank peas aren't blooming tomorrow, I'm plowing you all under!" He won. Chris

Pat: I know that roosters are not necessary for egg production. However our free range production reds are much calmer and less fractious with a rooster or 2 around. We have a small silky rooster that literally rules the roost. When he uses that "Big black bird in the sky" cry, you should see the old gals run for cover. Of course this would never happen in an egg factory.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Jerry, Folks say that if you name an animal you probably won't eat it. One of my neighbors replied on hearing that... I got one named hamburger, one is potroast, one is ribeye...

When I was a preschooler we raised rabbits BUT ATE FRIED CHICKEN. My favorite piece of chicken as a youngster was a drumstick. I didn't care for wings. NO PROBLEM with these fried chickens as there were plenty of drumsticks and no wings!

I don't think it is brutal or wrong for children to KNOW where their animal protein comes from. I think it is more wrong to pretend meat grows on trees and looks like watermelon when cut into, a layer of rind (fat) like the white outer melon layer, altogether melon-like except for the bones.

Life is not a Disney visit. I have always felt that to buy meat the customer (except for rare exceptions) should be required to have a meat consumers lisc. To qualify for the lisc you would have been required to have toured a few slaughter houses/packing plants and participated and pass both a written test as well as a practical demonstration. I think it would be appropriate to include this in the grade school curriculum. This might or might not increase the percentage of vegetarians but would demistify the animal as food.

There just has to be something wrong when people eat all sorts of animals but have to at least pretend to not know where the meat comes from to be comfortable.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, we never raised any rabbits when I was a kid. My younger brothers raised them, after I left home, and they were living in town, but we sure ate lots of cottontails, jack rabbits, and an occasional swamp rabbit. But we did raise hogs, calves, and chickens to slaughter for our meat. I can understand what you're talking about.

I guess it's a bit peculiar, funny, or whatever, but I never minded shooting squirrels, rabbits, and birds to eat. However, I really hated killing the domestic animals; even hated killing the occasional cottontail that I trapped live. But I did understand why it was necessary and did it.

Adron, I'd bet that somewhere some pencil pusher looked at the potential costs and benefits of playing ROOSTER CROWING over speakers at the egg factory. I can see it now. A stuffed rooster on a continuous loop track circling around and passing up and down the isles to be seen and heard by the layers to exact a 2.017% increase in average lifetime laying production with only a 1.32% increase in feed consumption.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RITFL..........Not hard to visualize at all. The only thing questionable is the percentages might be off just a little. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Bird, That reluctance to kill but the ability to do what is needed is exemplified by some of the members of THAT side of my ancestry where the spirit of the animal was asked for forgiveness. I was never a trophy hunter. I spread skins to dry and took squirrels tais and rabbits tails and such but the only thing edible that I killed and didn't eat was poisonous snakes. I have eaten some but if I need something that "Tastes Like Chicken", I'll eat a chicken.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat, I agree and I bought the laying hens for my kids so they could experience a little bit of farm life. Jerry

Do they also get to clean the hen house?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]