Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying hens

Re: Laying hens

jdc, I think you are providing your children a wonderful opportunity to learn about the natural world. Lots of kids have watched chicks hatch or kittens be born and such and grow up with a deepening understanding of the natural world comensurate with their level of maturation. They learn that things have a begining and end and purpose. Not every lesson can be taught by watching reruns of "Ole Yeller" and "The Waltons."

Too many kids these days think puppies and kittens are bought at the store and are made by Mattel or whoever along with the toys. You play with them like a doll or toy robot when it is fun and ignore them and leave their needs to others when not the focus of the moment.

Even feeding chicks is a responsibility and teaches kids that others are dependent on them and they need to discharge their duties for the well being of others.

Gee, this makes me want to incubate some eggs...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

And clean the hen house Pat??

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I thought you had made that point just fine earlier but if you desire some support... Kids frequently only deal with animals as pets (sort of surogate siblings) and then only the part you feed and pet not the final result of the feeding. Hence the importance of the character building and reality reinforcing chores of cleaning up after the animals.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For quite a few years Saturday morning was my time to clean the henhouse, barn and bring back clean straw bedding. I also got to turn the handle on a grinder for the oats we fed the chickens. Oh, I also got to feed them.

Nothing more pleasant than a henhouse on a brisk -20 F morning.

Don't know about character building but do know about cleaning henhouses! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

That would be nice but it's hard enough to get them to feed and water. Although they enjoy gathering the eggs, and I think the hens enjoy scaring the kids. Jerry

Egon, You said. "Don't know about character building but do know about cleaning henhouses! "

Trust me, the character buillding worked fine, you are quite a character!

I can also recall being in a dairy barn and the PIERCING quality of ammonia in the air so thick as to almost take your breath away . It would certainly clean out your sinus cavities and try to make some new ones.

I thought that the hens must hear the rooster before they will lay eggs. If they think there is no rooster, no need to lay eggs. You don't actually need a rooster, but at least a recording of a rooster crowing.

Nope, they lay eggs, but the eggs are infertile.

Well about 5 days ago I told the hens that who ever isn't laying eggs is going to become Sunday dinner, and I know that it had nothing to do with it but the two that weren't laying must have taken it to heart cause we get 5 eggs a day know . Jerry

Egon, Didn't you notice that Charlie was in Texas???

Pat