I had a gas log in San Diego that I installed in the wood burning fireplace for convenience. That is the one I make the cap for because when we bought the house there wasn't any cap, just an open chimney which of course admitted rain. the good news is that it drained out the ash bin which was made to access from outside.

I hope you solved your problem without having to do another cap but only time and weather will tell.

I too have gas logs. I have 4 gas logs in this new house, three parlor stoves and one large phony fireplace. They are decorations, ambience, and backup heat that requires no electricity from the utility in case of winter time power outage which isn't too rare thanks to ice storms. They are all direct vent as I would not have a vent free in my house. Only one is vented vertically with a cap. The rest vent out through a wall and have their vents under a porch roof overhang so I don't expect water problems.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]