Thread: When to plant winter rye?

When to plant winter rye?

I am on the Gulf Coast of Texas. When should I plan to overseed with winter rye? Also, where do yall buy your grass seed? And is there a winter mix that I can buy? Something that has rye and maybe some clover or sometthing? This is for cattle grazing.

thanx

Re: When to plant winter rye?

In our area any time now is good for planting winter rye. For your area I do not know.

Are you figuring on planting pasture grass at the same? If so perhaps talk to the fellows at the local seed/feed store and also any goverment agencies that deal with agriculture. Neighbours may also be able to give advice.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Plant now through the end of October. A mix of rye with Crimson clover would be good pasture. I just finished discing my pasture and will plant rye next week. Be sure to drag the pasture after seeding to cover the exposed seeds. Pray for rain.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

I am preparing to plant Elbon rye, crimson and yucchi clover for winter pasture here w/in the next 2 weeks.
    I get my seed from locally owned Shelton Feed & Fertilizer, a 3rd generation family owned farm & ranch supplier. Several vendors have a pre-mixed "winter mix". Check w/ the local farm & ranch stores.

I'm just a bit north of you and I usually wait until mid to late November. I get my seed at the local feed store and usually put it down at around 50# per acre.